PDA

View Full Version : play from blinds.

10-11-2001, 05:35 AM
4 players limp in, I check with QJo in the BB.

flop comes J 8 4 rainbow. I lead bet since I can't count on any of these players to bet. They are the type that are happy to check a flop around.

3 callers (including a loose player who normally gets frisky on the flop when it hits him, including draws. i have no idea what he could be playing).

turn: Q 4th suit.

What's my play? should I go for checkraise? again this is the kind of field that will check it around and now the board is getting a little scary so I lead. Only the loose player calls (could the queen have hit him?).

River: Q

I bet, he calls, I take down the pot.

should I have gone for a checkraise on the turn? Should I have gone for a checkraise on the river. This player is capable of bluffing when the 2nd queen comes, but he also respects my game and will probably call more hands than he will bet.

Rob

10-11-2001, 05:50 AM
There is nothing about these hands that cry out for a checkraise. On the other hand a checkraise is certainly not a terrible play and should be done at least occasionally in these types of situations.

10-11-2001, 01:10 PM
I think you played it correctly. Going for the checkraise on the turn is a mistake. Especially with the players you describe that will be happy to check behind. Someone has to have picked up some kind of straight draw on the turn and you want to make everybody pay. River the guy knows you have a hand to bet into so many people on the turn so its not likey he'll bluff. I say bet the river and hope he has enough to pay you off. And maybe even raise you if he has a queen.

10-12-2001, 03:26 PM
I think you played it fine.

No need to checkraise in this spot as a free card would be a dreadful mistake, you might get raised on the turn anyway by the frisky player with a draw/pair kind of hand in which case you make even more by leading.

Unless you have a good read on this guy to be a habitual river bluffer then betting the river is ok too.

The only spot where a checkraise might be worthwhile if you read him for absolutely nothing on the river and want to give him a chance to try to buy the pot.