PDA

View Full Version : how did i do?

10-11-2001, 05:28 AM
I'm in the small blind with With the A2s.

Average player limps in after UTG folds. First time playing with him but he's mucking a decent amount pre-flop and seems sane. loose player (who gets aggressive when flop hits him, i.e. top pair, flush draw, etc.) calls, button calls, I call and BB checks. 5 players.

flop: 10s 8s 6d

I check, BB checks, Average player bets, loose player calls (no hand), button raises, I call, BB mucks, Average player calls, loose player calls.

turn: Jc

checked to button who bets, I call, Average player calls, loose player folds.

River: 6s

i bet out, average player calls, button calls.

I turn over the winner and take the pot.

Average player tells me that he made the K high flush on the river and that he would have bet and that I should have gone for the checkraise.

Comments?

rob

10-11-2001, 05:42 AM
Going for a check raise is an OK play here but not if the button bets. Betting out, however, at worst, is only slightly wrong.

10-11-2001, 01:17 PM
I think you played it fine. You can't count on anybody betting your hand on the river for you. If other guy has a flush it is probably a big one becuase he limped in early position. So he may raise you on the river anyway. Not too many guys will just call the river with 2nd nut flush. This isn't omaha. Whereas if you check he only bets if he had the hand that could raise. And when he doesn't have it you will usually get paid off by at least the button or both of them.

10-11-2001, 01:36 PM
First of all, let me say for the record that it is a small college but there are those of us who love it (Class of '89)...

Second, I'm not enough of an expert in odds to make this statement, but I will anyway. I assume the EV of you betting and being called are great enough to surpass the odds of you either being beat (full house) or being able to checkraise a lesser hand. The only lesser hand that can legitimately be bet here is a smaller flush, and that person may even attempt a checkraise, which will still leave you in the cold. I would have played it the same way - people like to call and "find out what you were chasing with"

10-12-2001, 03:50 PM
Sounds like you played it fine to me too.

How about betting out on the flop to give your hand a little disguise?

From the way you played the hand it was pretty clear what you had and it's no wonder the King high flush did not raise you on the river.

I think the question of whether or not to go for a checkraise on the river in this hand is not very important at best. I think the way the hand plays before the river holds a lot more interest.