PDA

View Full Version : Move up or Multitable?

SuitedSixes
06-09-2004, 07:33 AM
My vitals after 8800 hands at Party .5/1

+250 BB
2.9 BB/100

I have more than enough BR to support a graduation to $1/$2. I am trying to decide what would be most beneficial for my progress as a player, moving to $1/$2 or learning to multitable at $.50/$1? I don't have dreams of playing professionally, just being able to fill the gaps between contract jobs. Thanks.

rayrns
06-09-2004, 08:04 AM
I think you should at least take a stab at $1/2.

You know you are winning ok at .50/$1 and can always drop back down if you have problems with the higher limit.

Then to get the bankroll back up to try $1/2 again, multitable at .50/$1.

Eihli
06-09-2004, 08:10 AM
This brings up a question in my mind.

In 100 hours, would you learn more and improve your game by more playing 1 table, or 4? Playing 1 table you can better analyze your hands and get an understanding as to the why's, but getting in 4 times as many hands would open you to more situations and decisions.

Joe826
06-09-2004, 08:17 AM
Definetly playing 1 table at a higher limit would do more for your game, them move up to 2 when you're comfortable. Multitabling is cool (I think) but you should probably do it gradually. Playing 3-4 right away might open you to more situations, but you're much more likely to handle those situations badly and even form bad habits, which totally suck.

Equal
06-09-2004, 08:18 AM
Hi, congrats on the winnings. I believe that you should stick to one table, so you can continue to work on your game. When you start to multitable, your game will not improve. Just stay with a single table, especially when moving up, which I think you should try. Keep improving your ability to: read hands, lay hands down when your beaten, and play the player.

SuitedSixes
06-09-2004, 08:25 AM
How about playing at 6-Max tables? Is this a necessary step in the development of a player? I have been afraid to try them since the only position I lose money in is the BB. Why expose myself to the blinds more often than necessary? Is this thinking flawed?

Surfbullet
06-09-2004, 09:18 AM
I recently moved to 5max games to learn shorthanded as I had heard that it is good for hand-reading skills, teaches proper aggression, etc. It's been tough to get adjusted but it definitely has revealed holes in my game that I probably wouldn't have noticed at a full table because they were not so egregious there.
It's definitely worth taking the time to learn shorthanded as it will help your development as a player, but I would recommend being very confident and comfortable with your full table game AND with dealing with downswings, because the variance at SH is really hard to deal with otherwise.

Dan

SuitedSixes
06-10-2004, 06:47 AM
1st session of $1/$2- 6 hours +4.9BB/100

One difference I noticed in the move up: There must be a rule at 1/2 that the button is required to bet after the flop if everyone else has checked.

davidross
06-10-2004, 08:37 AM
Decide what your immediate goal is. If it is to play better, then move up. If it is simply to increase short term profits then multi table and stay where you are.

SuitedSixes
06-11-2004, 08:22 AM
Day 2 Results - 3 Hours (A quickie) +10.3BB/100

I noticed that more players at this level seem willing to go for the big win. I saw several instances of preflop raise-reraise-cap with little more than pocket 5's. These seemed like otherwise OK players who were just going for a big payout for 3 of a kind or a full house.

I had heard that $1/$2 was pretty tight, and so far, I haven't seen it.

P.S. The highlight of my poker career is that I got a comment from davidross!

SuitedSixes
06-11-2004, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to learn to play better and try to figure out if I'm any good at this game, so I've decided to move up. I play fairly ABC, so I don't think an extra table would matter a whole bunch, but I want to be sure I am picking up as much knowledge as I can. Thanks again!

Saborion
06-11-2004, 09:17 AM
I'd move up instead. Then when you're comfortable at the new limit, add one table, since everyone should be able to play two tables without any noticable loss in player observation. Then when you move up again, switch back to one table to get used to the play of the new limit, then add another table.

Good luck.

Bob T.
06-11-2004, 09:57 AM
Move to 1/2. There is more to learn there, then by multitabling .5/1.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.