PDA

View Full Version : IS THIS RAKE BEATABLE?

ribbit
06-09-2004, 01:22 AM
I have several hold em games available to me live at home, on the internet, and at Caesar's Indiana outside of Louisville, KY. I want to make sure that I don't play in any games which are unbeatable or barely beatable. I tremendously appreciate any input on the viability of these games. Here are my choices:

ONLINE GAMES:
$2-$4 with 5% up to a $3 maximum ($1 on 20,$1.50 on $30,etc)

$3-$6 raked the same as $2-$4

$4-$8 raked the same as $2-$4

$5-$10 raked the same as $2-$4.

LIVE GAMES:

$2-$4 at home with 5% and no maximum.

$4-$8 at home with 5% and no maximum.

$4-$8 at Caesar's with 10% and a $5 maximum plus $1 for the bad beat ($6 max plus $1 bad beat on weekends).

$5-$10 at Caesar's raked the same as $4-$8.

$10-$20 at Caesar's with 10% and a $5 max but none for the bad beat.

$20-$40 at Caesar's raked the same as $10-$20.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Ribbit

mat
06-09-2004, 01:31 AM
i think all of these games seem pretty reasonable. the main thing i think is the quality of the game. i have been in low limit games where the rake is just unfair but if you play tight and have opponents that will pay you of they can be worthwhile

Dov
06-09-2004, 03:10 AM
I don't think you can beat the home games. With no max on the rake, the house will definitely make all the money. This is a license to steal from the players.

Let's say you guys play 7 handed and the average pot is around $50. You play around 25 hands /hour. The house will be taking $125 / hour off the table, more if someone starts a raising war. If you win 2 pots an hour, you will pay $10 in rake.

In a game where you are looking to make $8/hour, that doesn't look very player friendly, at least not to me.

Sponger15SB
06-09-2004, 03:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Let's say you guys play 7 handed and the average pot is around $50. You play around 25 hands /hour. The house will be taking $125 / hour off the table, more if someone starts a raising war. If you win 2 pots an hour, you will pay $10 in rake.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you talking about the $2/4 or the $4/8 home game, cause theres no way in hell a $2/4, 7 handed home game is averaging $50 a pot. anyways, that rake structure is crap for the home game, but i don't think this is the worst of all listed.

$6 max a hand at the cesears $4/8 is pretty ugly.

Surfbullet
06-09-2004, 05:26 AM
Is it common to have a rake at home games??
This is the first I've ever heard of it...(which means nothing because the only home games I've played are my own and the few some of my friends have) my friend hosted $20 and $50 nl tourneys last year and didn't take a cut at all... and I've hosted regular games for awhile - it seems kind of shady to invite ppl over to play poker and then have a rake. It's entirely possible I am misinterpreting though.

Dan

Grvnhigh
06-09-2004, 07:12 AM
The rake of the 4-8 and 5-10 games at Caesar's is brutal, but the 10-20 game is quite profitable. The 20-40 game is generally more aggressive with bigger swings, but it is definitely beatable, IMO. If you play there, be sure to get the rake cut to the $3 cap if your game goes shorthanded (6 or less active players).

As for the online games, play whatever your bankroll can stand.

fsuplayer
06-09-2004, 09:46 AM
The Ceasar's $4-8 looks almost unbeatable IMO. They are taking $140-180 off the table an hour!
The home game is quite high as well, but sometimes they are so soft that is still might be profitable.
The $10-20 and $20-40 seem about the same for most around the country.

Good luck!
FsuPlayer