PDA

View Full Version : River check Raise.

10-09-2001, 07:09 PM
I'll start with a sorry that you all had to use some sort of brain work to figure out my last post, Who am I to be typing after a 48 hr stretch.

A typical 10/20 game for a sunday, average pot 10bb ,, so its decent,

To get to my hand, my image is tight agressive, normally a preflop raise when feild is limited to a few players,

I pick up AA in the BB and three limpers button raises.My thinking now is that If I do reraise Id being giving to much out preflop and I would liek a rather large pot If my hand hits, sense Id be leaving with in the next round,, so I just call and

so does the other 3. 5 players

flop A 9 5.. 2 spades, I check and all 4 of us call the Button

turn 4h I checked again middle position bets,fold,button called I called 3 players

river 4s I checked middle bet Button called I check raised, my read was that the button could not win mayby AQ AK,

middle player I put on the flush with mayby a pr 9s. K9s MAYBY

I feel I played it ok thow Im not sure , mayby I missed a bet or 2 or even should have took the lead by betting ,, comments?

10-09-2001, 10:44 PM
First of all not raising before the flop is precisely how you gain preflop equity- but it may cost you post flop equity. This play might be okay so that you can try and check-raise the flop to try and thin the field. When you hit your set betting is probably best so that you can hopefully reraise and build a big pot, you may get action from somebody with the case Ace and/or flush draws, and maybe you get lucky and somebody else flopped like two pair or a set. Anyway you just check called so now considering how you played on the flop, I have no idea why you didn't raise the turn. That is AWFUL! If you suspected somebody was on a flush draw (evidently you did since you tried to check raise a flush on the river) then why let them draw cheap? This is great to raise these guys with only one card to come on the expensive street. Anyway, I like trying to check-raise on the river especially if you suspect the flush is on your immediate left. Then again betting might allow you to three bet if somebody on your right made a flush. Bottom line you played way too passively.

10-10-2001, 05:13 AM
I think you won close to the minimun you could have on this hand.

Preflop I would have raised. get the money in when your hand is best!

on the flop you should have thought about leading and reraising. You could get raised by the case ace or flush draws. i don't have any major complaints about your flop play though.

On the turn you have to raise. The flush draws will pay you now but not if they miss on the river. You need to charge them the maximum to draw.

given your play I think the river action was fine.

rob

10-10-2001, 11:53 AM
I have to agree with the reply's. You were trying not to make money on this hand. And beggin to lose some. The idea is to make money and protect your hand. Luckily for you everybody else decided to bet your hand for you. You should reraise in that spot preflop only 100% of the time. The rest of the time play it the way you did. Don't mean to sound harsh but I think it is disgusting the way you played my favorite hand. The way it tuned out you still made some money. If you keep playing AA's like this you wil be in for a rude awakening. You will be outdrawn much more often, and the times you are beat before the river you will be punished by big hands that are made because you let them in cheaply. Don't take offense to what I'm saying by the way, I am saying this to give constructive criticism.

10-10-2001, 11:29 PM
I don't think re-raising is the best play 100% of the time preflop. So many players play passive out of the blinds and 3 betting out of the blind is like announcing I HAVE A GREAT HAND! Anyway, this also provides no protection for the hand (as you stated, this is a hand that should be protected- reraising unprotects the hand, players will now chase more thanks to the big pot, and they will often be correct to do so.So reraising is probably not the play to make when trying to "protect" unless you think some of the limpers will now fold), if you are trying to protect your hand then the best play would be to go ahead and try to check raise on the flop. This looks like the best way to "protect" the hand - keep the pot small, then force people to call two cold..........whats important is that protecting a hand isn't always the most effective way to play it.

10-11-2001, 02:23 AM
I would definitely reraise before the flop. You can't get hurt when your opponents fold (putting dead money in the pot) or when they call (you are a big favorite to win), so you win no matter what they do.

On the flop, I would lead bet and hope the button raises so I can reraise. There is no reason to slowplay this with a flush draw out there and the pot so big already. You should be glad to fold out anyone with a gutshot and give anyone with a single pair a chance to make a huge mistake by drawing to two perfect cards.

On the turn, you miss a great chance to trap both players in for one more bet. Slowplaying a set on a twotone board with a decent pot at stake is a huge mistake, in my opinion. I think you won the minumum here, while giving any flush draws a cheap shot to knock you off your set.

10-11-2001, 09:05 AM
So what are you saying Goat. The reply you defend protecting the hand by not reraising preflop and going for a checkraise. Then your last statement you you say its not right to protect it.

Imo, I want to take advatage of situations when I have very big hand like this and reraise. It acomplishes many things. 1) it puts more money in the pot with the best hand. 2)it put pressure on the limpers to call 2 more bets with hands that will probably not be worthy of 2 more bets. So either they fold, which "protects" my hand or I force them to make a mistake in calling 2 bets. 3) It annonces I a have AA's or a big pair. This is actually a good thing imo. They are likely to chase post flop whether I reraised or not. Because the pot is already multi way for a raise. At least this way they know there up against a big hand they may be less likely to continue unless they flop good. And I don't want action post flop. Although if I get action thats not bad either since I stand to have the best hand.