PDA

View Full Version : -$25 in seven orbits.

MastiffPaul
06-08-2004, 07:23 PM
I still don't know what I'm doing wrong. The players I'm heads-up with in both these situations play too many hands. The first is aggressive, has low raising standards. The second is passive, calls everything, even when he has a hand.

EDIT: Besides these hands, the best I've been dealt at this table has been 88. I don't understand how many of you show a profit in times like these, when the only good cards you're dealt still can't win. How can I turn a losing hand into a winning one? I don't seem to be able to force players out of a pot. I always get burned whenever I try.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 11.75 BB, between Hero and CO.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by CO (11.75 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Kd Qc (high card, king).
CO shows Qs 9s (flush, queen high).
Outcome: CO wins 11.75 BB. </font>

And another:

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (5.75 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 5.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 5.75 BB, between Hero and BB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by BB (5.75 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows 4c Tc (two pair, fives and fours).
Hero shows Kd Ac (one pair, fives).
Outcome: BB wins 5.75 BB. </font>

bisonbison
06-08-2004, 07:29 PM
I don't understand how many of you show a profit in times like these, when the only good cards you're dealt still can't win.

We don't. Poker's about the long term. I've had losing sessions, days and weeks. I haven't had a losing month yet, but I've had 10,000 hand streaks where I didn't break even.

dfscott
06-08-2004, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand how many of you show a profit in times like these, when the only good cards you're dealt still can't win.

We don't. Poker's about the long term. I've had losing sessions, days and weeks. I haven't had a losing month yet, but I've had 10,000 hand streaks where I didn't break even.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad to see this -- I've only played 1000 hands at my new level and was starting to question my abilities despite 2+2er's telling me my play is fine.

SnakeRat
06-08-2004, 07:33 PM
7 orbits is nothing whatsoever, you shouldnt even be looking at how much you are up or down after 7 orbits. I lost a ton of pots yesterday when i had monsters (2 times with top boat), but today almost everything held up. Its just poker. If you play much better than your opponents the money will come.

MastiffPaul
06-08-2004, 07:42 PM
Thanks, guys. That makes me feel quite a bit better.

My angsty whinging aside, how do the hands look?

SofaCoach
06-08-2004, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you play much better than your opponents the money will come.

[/ QUOTE ]
But if you raise the flop with K high, call a 3-bet with it, continue your bluff on the turn, and call a bet on the river with K high....? They money WON'T come, it'll go.

As bison and the others said, even the best players don't always win. But I believe that the best players minimize their losses when the cards are running cold and definately don't push with hands they shouldn't. Be patient. Wait the cold cards out.

cold_cash
06-08-2004, 07:56 PM
I think you lost more bets than you had to in hand 1. I can understand the flop check-raise, but why did you lead the turn after he 3-bet? Also, there's not many hands a reasonable player would hold that you can beat with this board on the river. This hand looks like you're trying to force things a little.

Hand 2 looks better, but it also looks like you swung a little too far in the opposite direction. I think I would bet the turn.

TBone
06-08-2004, 09:33 PM
As someone mentioned, poker winnings come from the long-term. You'll have your bad streaks.

But, since it can sometimes be so difficult to win money at poker, don't throw it away! Your first hand was horribly played. You're not going to bluff many people at low limits, so you're better off rarely if ever, trying. Don't bet the turn, and don't call the river.

T

afk
06-09-2004, 12:14 AM
You're going to cost yourself a lot of money if you try to turn losing hands into winning ones. You're being too focused on the results of individual pots. When you look at the long run, often the best way to turn a losing hand into a winning hand is to fold it at the right time. Good luck at the tables!