PDA

View Full Version : One cry, one call

10-08-2001, 05:09 PM
15/30 round in a 10/20 half-kill game. Same game as one described in previous post.

The "killer" is UTG. He checks, two players limp, and the rest fold to me in the BB. I have put up $10 of the $15 so far (and am thus getting 12:1). The killer and limpers all play terribly. I call with J2o.

The flop is Js9s2d. I bet. The UTG killer calls. The killer is clearly drunk. He almost never folds at any point, so it impossible to put him on any range of hands at this point. He is also tends to way underplay his strong hands (sometimes on purpose as a slowplay, other times b/c he doesn't realize how strong they are). He is also capable some very loose cannon activity, firing chips with little hope. One other player, who plays miserably, calls. 3 players, about 7.3 SBs.

The turn is 9d, giving me a naked jack. I bet. Only the killer calls. 2 players, about 5.6 BBs.

The river is 8d. I check, the killer bets and I call.

Thanks for comments. I'll post results later.

-Dan

P.S. As an addendum to this series of posts, playing in this game was an interesting experience. I felt that my reads and skills were dull all night, yet I posted a sizeable win due the incredible amount of loose money being thrown around. Sometimes being in the right place is better than being good I guess.

10-08-2001, 05:25 PM
Given that this guy is drunk and could have anything, I would play the hand the same way. You certainly may be beat, but I don't see him beating you more than 1 time in 7, since he almost certainly has a higher chance than that of bluffing or misreading his hand.

10-08-2001, 05:46 PM
Daniel,

I've been zigging when I should be zagging (see the AJ post results by Boris) but to me this is an easy call against a drunk head up. BTW, the river check is much better than betting since a guy like this will bluff off many worse hands than he will call with when you are still ahead.

Regards,

Rick

10-08-2001, 06:17 PM
Rick,

Regarding the Boris AJ hand: good players get tricky and creative when the pots get bloated. As a result, I think that you need to be a little tenacious and not be pushed off hands as strong as Boris' in those situations. And Boris called the other players loose, so their cold calls hardly indicated that he was behind (never mind drawing dead). I would have called on the turn and called on the river (assuming that it was only one bet each time).

-Dan

10-08-2001, 06:27 PM
I think you played this one prefectly. If Rick didn't question you throwing one chip in with J-2o to see the flop, I certainly won't.

The results here are, IMO, irrelevant. Since it is impossible to use logic to figure out what the drunk is doing, what he happened to have wouldn't change what you should have done. He might turn over A-6o or pocket 9s.

10-08-2001, 06:59 PM
He made a backdoor flush draw. Too bad the hand didn't come up later in the night, because the delicate way in which he bet on the river was a dead tell that he had a big hand, but I hadn't figured out this tell when this hand came up unfortunately.

Thanks for the responses.

10-08-2001, 07:32 PM
in a three way pot with one tricky player I agree that you have to call him down.

If three players call 3 bets cold on the flop and two bets cold on the turn, I think top pair top kicker is usually a busted hand. player are rarely this loose and I admit that I had to really change my analyis of the table after the unfortunate A-J hand.

10-08-2001, 11:23 PM
Your before the flop call is horrible. Why would you put in another chip, let alone 2 with a terrible hand out of position? And you want to do this in a bigger limit then normally played?

The rest of the hand you played fine.