PDA

View Full Version : Super Flop

10-08-2001, 11:09 AM
10-20, somewhat loose, mix of loose passive, loose aggressive, and one or two tight aggressive opponents. My image is tight passive, as I've mostly been folding bad starters preflop.

Pre-flop: I have As-Ks in the small blind.

Two limpers, cutoff raises. Cutoff is loose aggressive but plays decently (and very aggressively) after the flop. I just call, BB calls, limpers call. Anyone strongly favor a 3-bet here? I often re-raise with A-K suited, but decide to just call here since my position is poor and my hand plays fine multi-way.

Flop: Kd 4s 2s

I check, rest check to cutoff who bets, and I raise. All fold to cutoff who 3-bets. I 4-bet. No cap since we're headsup now, and he 5-bets. I call. I put him on A-A, A-K, or K-K.

Turn: 9h

I check, cutoff bets. I raise, he thinks briefly and calls.

River: 8d, final board: Kd 4s 2s 9h 8d

I check, he checks.

Please critique my play. I'll post the results below a little later.

Thanks,

Caddy

10-08-2001, 11:51 AM
Caddy,

Why not lead on the flop with top pair and a draw? Do you really want to narrow the field with a checkraise?

Also, if you put him on AA, KK or AK after the flop betting, why checkraise the turn? He won't lay down AK or AA and will three bet you with KK. At this point you want to see the river cheaply. Of course he could have a slightly wider range of hands. After all, this it the flop (cheap street) and he is headup with position.

Regards,

Rick

10-08-2001, 04:02 PM
Rick,

Thanks for the response. I think you're right in suggesting that I may have been better off leading on the flop. However, the limpers didn't look too interested in the flop, so I don't know if my checkraise folded anyone who would have called one bet or not.

On the turn, I actually thought there was a small chance this player would lay down A-K or A-A. I was hoping that my aggressive flop play + how he perceived me (very tight passive) + this turn checkraise would convince him I had to have set and induce a fold. This was probably wishful thinking.

I guess one small benefit of the turn checkraise was that it got him to check the river after I checked. He showed aces and said he thought I had him beat.

Caddy

10-12-2001, 03:40 PM
I like your flat call from the SB pre-flop. I'm somewhat confused by the way the play goes afterwards. What could your opponent have, to be able to pop you after two check-raises?

You mentioned some premium hands;how about the possibility of a

set?It makes sense that, given his loose play pre-flop, and that you've played a fairly tight game to this point, that he has a hand which can beat your big pair or AKs (or AK, minimum).