PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe I just laid down AK pre-flop. Dumb/Smart?

jedi
06-08-2004, 01:04 PM
Here's the situation. 5 people left in a 2-table $10+1 SnG at Poker Stars. I am in 3rd chip position with about 3.5K and UTG.

UTG + 1 is chip leader with about 11K.
Button is a short stack with about 1.2K
Small Blind is also a short stack with about 1K
Big Blind is 2nd chip leader with 10K.

Blinds are 100/200, ante is 25.

I pick up AKo and raise it to 500. Everyone folds around to the Big Blind who pushes in his entire stack.

Hmmmm.... I think for a bit and decide to fold.

I made this decision because I do respect the play of the Big Blind, but also because I don't particularly respect the play of the short stacks, and I feel that I can slide into the money pretty easily with 2 desperate short stacks in the game. Good/bad? Comments?

Results:
<font color="white"> Big Blind later told me that he had KK. The 2 short stacks busted out shortly after and the Big Blind guy got into an all-in confrontation with the chip leader and lost. I was about 10-1 underdog in chips heads up and couldn't pull out the win. But, I did offer to split the prize 50/50 /images/graemlins/grin.gif </font>

TheGrifter
06-08-2004, 01:22 PM
Yup, pretty standard fold.

holeplug
06-08-2004, 01:24 PM
On the bubble (top 4 pays in stars 2 table i think?) I would have done the same thing. AK usually isn't a hand I call an all in with in this situation since your a small dog to any pair and almost dead against AA. Plus you stated that the short stacks were bad players so let them do something stupid, get ITM, then you can be aggresive.

Copenhaver
06-08-2004, 01:26 PM
Definitely a good move. Why risk it, when you're that close to the money? He could have had rags, and folding here is still the best move. With only 5 players left, you're only one elimination away from being in the money, since for a 2-table tourney, they pay out top 4.

True, you need to double to contend for the win, but not when there is one severe short stack between you and the money.

Good laydown. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Dan Mezick
06-08-2004, 01:46 PM
Even if you think you have a narrow edge, why call in a tournament situation as described? Sklansky would tell you to fold in this spot even with marginally positive EV.

What was your record against this player in heads-up situations? Unless you had "overdog" stats against this guy, you made the right play.

Pitcher
06-08-2004, 02:02 PM
Hi Jedi,

You did the right thing. BTW, in this situation, if I were the BB, I would go in with any two cards. He or she knows you can't afford to call without a premium PP. Bummer situation, but that is the way it is.

Pitcher

jedi
06-08-2004, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

What was your record against this player in heads-up situations? Unless you had "overdog" stats against this guy, you made the right play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I showed up to the final table as one of the short stacks. Against this player, I was able to double up twice in various all-in preflop coin flips when I was much more desperate than I am in this scenario. The first time was my AK vs. his 22 and an Ace hit the turn. Second time was my TT vs. his AQ. Flop was T Q A. So I have beaten him in 2 break-even type situations where I don't think I was wrong to push and I don't think he was wrong to call.

That having been said, the fact that there are TWO short stacks there turned this into a fold for me, though I can't really remember folding AK pre-flop.

If I had much fewer chips, this would turn into a push from the get-go, right?

jedi
06-08-2004, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Jedi,

You did the right thing. BTW, in this situation, if I were the BB, I would go in with any two cards. He or she knows you can't afford to call without a premium PP. Bummer situation, but that is the way it is.

Pitcher

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this mean I shouldn't even have raised with AK? I'm in a tough spot here. UTG, with AK and 2 big stacks to act behind me. I don't think I can flat call unless I'm trying to trap with AA, and if the BB should be moving in with any 2 cards, then why the heck am I even raising if I'm going to fold anyways?

Beavis68
06-08-2004, 02:43 PM
I think you played it well, you put in a big enough bet to look serious, but were still able to get away from it. You are still is decent chip position, so forget it. Wait for another spot.

Jason Strasser
06-08-2004, 02:44 PM
Fold, and tell the big stack to stop reading certain posts on 2+2.

ScottTheFish
06-08-2004, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold, and tell the big stack to stop reading certain posts on 2+2.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, because nobody ever heard of this move until Jason posted about it. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif