PDA

View Full Version : Did I overplay two pair on river?

SomethingClever
06-08-2004, 01:01 PM
Poker Stars 0.50/1 Hold'em

Preflop: Hero is Button with A /images/graemlins/heart.gif, T /images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Hero raises, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 calls.

Flop: (1.75 BB) Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A /images/graemlins/club.gif, 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 players)
MP1 checks, Hero bets, MP1 calls.

Turn: (2.75 BB) 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
MP1 checks, Hero bets, MP1 calls.

River: (3.75 BB) T /images/graemlins/spade.gif
MP1 checks, Hero bets, MP1 raises, Hero 3-bets, MP1 caps, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB

Results (in white): <font color="white">
Hero shows A /images/graemlins/heart.gif, T /images/graemlins/heart.gif for Two Pair
MP1 shows J /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif for Straight Flush
MP1 wins 11.75 BB
</font>

ZootMurph
06-08-2004, 01:26 PM
Ouch.

SnakeRat
06-08-2004, 01:28 PM
Yeah dont 3 bet, a lot of crazy monster hands just hit on that river.
Its unlikely he just hit a worse 2 pair.

rick6668
06-08-2004, 01:30 PM
The only thing I would have done different is just called his check raise on the river. What did you think you'd gain by re-raising his raise, he is not going to fold. It cost you 2 more bets when he caps. Call his raise and see what he's got. (I think you're beat anyway at this point, but it only costs you one more bet to see.)

Just my opinion.

SomethingClever
06-08-2004, 01:56 PM
After the fact, I feel the same way... I should have just called. But at the time, I put the villain on a worse Ace or a Queen because of his passive calling. I thought the raise on the river was a steal attempt.

I really didn't think he was chasing the flush or straight, let alone a straight flush.

Bill Smith
06-08-2004, 02:03 PM
If the river had been a steal attempt, you weren't going to gain anymore money by raising - unless he's a maniac, he folds.

Xiphoid
06-08-2004, 02:05 PM
I'd call on the river as well. He's seen you betting out on each street, so he knows that you're not going to fold on the river to some bluff raise (so I would interpret his check/raise as a sign that he made his hand).

bisonbison
06-08-2004, 02:20 PM
The format you see in other hand posts is actually created by a free website. Just get your pokerstars hand histories through e-mail and go here:

http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi

SomethingClever
06-08-2004, 02:48 PM
Ah, thanks. Creating that by hand was time-consuming.

MastiffPaul
06-08-2004, 04:26 PM
Haha, poker may require patience, but I don't think any of us have that kind of patience!

As for your hand--and this is a general question, not just to you--what do you think about this raise preflop? I like it, but I've read about such a raise in a different context, when there were already many loose passive limpers in, to increase the size of the pot. Here, is it good for another reason: limiting the number of players, trying to get the early limper heads-up?

EDITED: Misread raise preflop.

SomethingClever
06-08-2004, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As for your hand--and this is a general question, not just to you--what do you think about this raise preflop? I like it, but I've read about such a raise in a different context, when there were already many loose passive limpers in, to increase the size of the pot. Here, is it good for another reason: limiting the number of players, trying to get the early limper heads-up?

EDITED: Misread raise preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thought here was to isolate. I'm not worried much about the SB and BB, and I want to get heads up.

If there had been a lot of limpers, I would have just limped and hoped for a flush draw on the flop. I don't think AT plays well against a lot of passive limpers. They could be (and often are) limping with AJ, AQ or even AK.

MastiffPaul
06-08-2004, 04:58 PM
This article gave me something to think about concerning ATs: http://www.cgtv.com/games/column/index.shtml

SomethingClever
06-08-2004, 05:08 PM
Well, that completely refutes what I just said! Does that still apply if you think one of the original limpers will 3-bet you?