PDA

View Full Version : betting into a straight draw flop

dfscott
06-08-2004, 11:35 AM
One of the things that I've found after moving to PS .25/.50 is that when someone tells you you're beat, you probably are. I heard that voice during this hand, especially since the action was coming from the SB, but I couldn't make myself lay down a set.

As always, comments are appreciated.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks,

Flop: (7 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (10.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 12.50 BB, between Hero and SB.</font>

sublime
06-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Well played

You could have 3bet the flop, but since you raised the turn thats ok.

As for laying down a set. well, DONT.

If you were fairly certain that you were up against a straight, then you can check the river thru. but I would bet.

juanez
06-08-2004, 12:35 PM
I agree with Sublime - well played.

I've heard many times that "If you don't win when you flop a set, you should lose a lot of chips"

cold_cash
06-08-2004, 08:01 PM
You like the turn raise? I'm not so sure, but I'm willing to listen. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

elitegimp
06-08-2004, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You like the turn raise? I'm not so sure, but I'm willing to listen. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

well, with the exception of a bigger set or the straight flush, the Hero has plenty of outs _if he is beat_ (is it 10 ways to Full House or Quads?), and could very well be ahead of small-blind's flopped 2 pair or A w/ a decent kicker.

edit: that's the idea, at least... it looks to me like SB has the straight but is afraid of the flush...

BDP
06-08-2004, 09:05 PM
my only complaint is that you probably should have re-raised him after he raised your bet on the flop.

afk
06-09-2004, 12:00 AM
I think you gotta 3bet the flop here. Raising the turn is good, but I think this play should be saved for a less coordinated flop. The flop is pretty ugly, so I say raise teh flop. Were the flop less ugly then I think the flop call and turn raise is fine.

lowroller
06-09-2004, 12:30 AM
I would have liked a 3 bet flop

dfscott
06-09-2004, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you gotta 3bet the flop here. Raising the turn is good, but I think this play should be saved for a less coordinated flop. The flop is pretty ugly, so I say raise teh flop. Were the flop less ugly then I think the flop call and turn raise is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I normally would, but I was fooling around with strategies and trying to figure out how to keep people in. Calling the flop was an attempt to do that. Hard to say if it worked or wouldn't have made any difference.

dfscott
06-09-2004, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, with the exception of a bigger set or the straight flush, the Hero has plenty of outs _if he is beat_ (is it 10 ways to Full House or Quads?), and could very well be ahead of small-blind's flopped 2 pair or A w/ a decent kicker.

edit: that's the idea, at least... it looks to me like SB has the straight but is afraid of the flush...

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, you were right the first time -- SB mucked A/images/graemlins/spade.gifQ/images/graemlins/club.gif.