PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some golf info..

Daliman
06-08-2004, 11:31 AM
Ok, I know many of you,(us?) degenerates are golfers; mabye some of you are even good.
Daliman is looking to take up golf, and has a few questions;

1. Are lessons right away the way to go? I'm 33, in decent shape, am relatively good at similar "touch" style sports such as bowling, pool, tennis, and table tennis,(I know, what does this matter, right? Well, I'm bot very good at sports such as basketball and football, seems to be a bit of a correlation). I've been golfing 4 or 5 times, and to the driving range 2 or 3 times, but haven't done any of this in oveer 5 years, so i'm thinking any habits or consistancies I had are long gone, so I'm likely starting with a fresh slate,(???).

2. Is there anything to this NAtural Golf style? I've seen lots of ads for it, it looks cool, and seems right, but what the hell do I know? Hell, Phil Hellmuth's limit Hold'em style looks cool too, unless you know how to play the game. Looking for insight, or even links to impartial insight on this.

If it matters at all, I'm about 5'8" tall, and ~150 lbs. I'm looking to get relatively good, but not great, and would like to be shooting double digits by the end of summer, and am willing to spend ~$200-500 on lessons/training, plus golfing 2-3 times a week to do so. Ultimately, I'd like to at LEAST shoot mid 80's. I'm not sure how realistic this all is, but my wife's 69 year old father is an 8 handicap(used to be scratch) and I'd love to be able to golf with him and not embarrass myself, not to mention getting into the clubhouse to get at those old-money poker games.
/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Oski
06-08-2004, 11:34 AM
Get lessons right away.

Don't buy clubs until you have had lessons, establish a swing, and get fitted by a pro.

Do these steps, and you will prevent years of misery. (Or, at least you will be less miserable.)

nolanfan34
06-08-2004, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Get lessons right away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree wholeheartedly. Save yourself years of struggles. Especially since you're willing to start with lessons. I've been playing for about 10 years, and had never taken lessons before last summer. I had plateaued around an 18 handicap, and dropped to about a 13 by the end of the summer after taking lessons. Made a huge difference in my game.

I would recommend getting lessons from a PGA certified pro only. I'm not as sold on some of the "other" teaching methods, and although each pro is different, I think your safest bet is sticking with someone who has passed the PGA certification program. I don't know where you live, but where I live you can expect to pay about $200 for a series of 4 or 5 one-on-one lessons. Best money you'll spend.

If you're even coordinated in the least bit, getting your score down into the mid-80s is completely doable.

M2d
06-08-2004, 11:49 AM
Not sure where you skill level is (Daliman, not oski), but I think the lessons advice is solid. One addendum, though. maybe a series of those group lessons would be a good jumping off point followed by 1 on 1's. the group lessons (nike golf school has a good series) give the beginner the basics of the swing, and some course time with the pro for far less than money. the trade off, of course, is less personal attention.

Daliman
06-08-2004, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Get lessons right away.

Don't buy clubs until you have had lessons, establish a swing, and get fitted by a pro.

Do these steps, and you will prevent years of misery. (Or, at least you will be less miserable.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I already have clubs, given to me by a friend of somewhat similar stature,(well, we're both short. he's 5'5", i'm 5'8")
Is club length/size as important as newer technology?

nolanfan34
06-08-2004, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I already have clubs, given to me by a friend of somewhat similar stature,(well, we're both short. he's 5'5", i'm 5'8")

[/ QUOTE ]

For beginners, new technology is overrated. Sounds like the clubs you have probably will work. If something like the lie angle, shaft stiffness, or offset on the clubs is vastly wrong for your swing, your pro will probably point this out. But for most people, off-the-rack clubs like the ones you likely have will work just fine.

Learn how to swing first, worry about new equipment second. Down the road, custom fitted clubs will be the way to go. Of course if you have the bankroll or desire to purchase custom clubs sooner, like at the end of your lessons, go for it.

JTrout
06-08-2004, 12:30 PM
Hello Daliman,
Finally, a thread I can respond to with some degree of expertise!
For the past 16 years I have made my living from playing/teaching golf.

Yes, get lessons. Know that there are many different types of teachers (as poker players), and do a little research before you select a teacher.

Also, get a couple of instructional books. With photos! Lots of photos! Imitate the photos. Grip. Posture. Grip. Balance. Grip.
I would recommend:
The Natural Golf Swing by George Knudson
The Golf Swing by David Leadbetter
Five Fundamentals by Steve Elkington
When you sign up for lessons, DO NOT overlook shortgame lessons. Chipping and putting. You can achieve the goals you set in your post if you can play/practice 2-3 times per week, and you spend at least half of your practice time chipping and putting.

Good luck, and have fun /images/graemlins/smile.gif
JTrout

ps. Oski's advice is dead on. Borrow a couple of clubs for first lesson or two. Then get fitted. (as in teachers, the level of competence in fitters varies greatly. ask around)

JTrout
06-08-2004, 12:32 PM

more important.

shaft flex, length of club, lie of club (upright/flat).
and put some new grips on!

Cheers,
JTrout

M2d
06-08-2004, 01:54 PM
JTrout,
from a professional's POV, what do you think about natural golf? also, what do you make of a punch and judy (I like to call it a line-drive, doubles hitter) picking up golf clubs and suddenly mashing 300 yard drives. If I had the power in baseball that I had in golf (or the control in golf that I had with a bat) i'd be playing professionally /images/graemlins/wink.gif

JTrout
06-08-2004, 03:23 PM
There are pros and cons.
Some of the basic fundamentals are covered.
Its always useful to have a clearly defined objective (such as, "this is the way I'm going to do it")
It's method leans toward accuracy more than length, which will lower most people's scores.
But:
The grip taught is awful.
Other fundamentals, such as stance/path are pushed to extremes.
Any single "method" will have particular drawbacks to any individual.
One size does not fit all.
I think some of the teachers that gravitate towards this teaching method (or any other "method") do so because they don't know what they are doing to begin with. Much like, " I'm going to become a poker teaching pro, so I'll read Theory of Poker twice, and then I'll be ready to teach others."

Just my 2c
JTrout

southerndog
06-08-2004, 03:55 PM
Stand in front of a mirror or some other reflective surface and watch yourself swing. If it looks like the guys on TV, your good to go. Otherwise, correct it. Practice swinging in your living room. This will provide a smooth, steady, and balanced swing. That's what worked for me.

Slacker13
06-08-2004, 04:47 PM
Yes, get lessons before you develop any bad habits. Be warned! Once you play once you will be hooked no matter how well you play. And always remember the one thing that will increase a golfers score is witnesses.