PDA

View Full Version : QQ set vs. possible flush?

Tom Spec
06-08-2004, 09:57 AM
Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 folds.

Turn: (7.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 11.50 BB, between Hero and UTG+2.</font>

This is within my first couple of hands at the table, I have no read on any players.

Questions:

1) If I got check-raised on the flop, what kind of odds would I need to make a call for one more card?

2) Am I big enough to raise on the river here and hope he has A4, some other hand I can beat, or is bluffing?

chief444
06-08-2004, 10:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1) If I got check-raised on the flop, what kind of odds would I need to make a call for one more card?

[/ QUOTE ]
23.5:1 or better if you were sure that someone had the Ace. Probably even better than that considering there is a flush draw on the board and you could easily catch a Q and still lose. However the flush draw on the board also gives the possibility that the opponent check/raising is just pumping the pot with a draw and not an A.

[ QUOTE ]
2) Am I big enough to raise on the river here and hope he has A4, some other hand I can beat, or is bluffing?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think calling the river is fine. If he is bluffing he won't call a raise anyway. He would call with two pair but may 3-bet with a hand that beats your set.

Nice hand.

ZootMurph
06-08-2004, 10:28 AM
If you are check raised on the flop, you don't have the odds to call. However, since the pot is getting large, Noted Poker Authority Ed Miller would say you should call down in a microlimit game with QQ.

On the river, there is a flush and straight draw... you have to call, but I wouldn't raise. If he has the flush, you will be three bet and lose 2 more BB. If you are winning, the pot is nice enough as it is. There is no value that I can see from a raise on the river.

Xiphoid
06-08-2004, 11:09 AM
1. Fold to a check-raise. Those are horrible odds to play to, even if the pot is at a decent size (it's not that incredibly large). You're looking for a two-outer and it was great luck that you hit one of them, but this is RARELY the case. I don't believe Ed Miller would advocate calling a check-raise here. You don't have top-pair, you don't have a flush draw and you don't have a straight draw.

2. Call.

Tom Spec
06-08-2004, 12:58 PM
He had 76o.