PDA

View Full Version : Correct to fold small pair in this situation?

BDP
06-08-2004, 04:45 AM
I don't have the hand history but it went something like this:

Party Poker .5/1.00 Table
I have 5,5 in middle position. Betting is as follows: Call, Raise, Fold, Call, Fold(Me), I forgot the rest but about 5 people called the raise and saw the flop. Flop was: T, 3, 5. Turn: 5. River: 3

Was I correct in folding with the raise in front or should I have called it? Was I playing too tight or was I playing just right?! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

chief444
06-08-2004, 08:03 AM
At your typical .5/1 table (loose and passive) I think calling would have been fine. You already have one limper and one coldcall in front of you and I think you could usually count on at least one or two more to call. As long as you felt fairly confident that it wouldn't end up being 3-bet or capped with only a few to the flop calling is OK.

Virox
06-08-2004, 08:17 AM
The problem with calling a raise is that you will to make at least an $8 profit (instead of $4) on average when you hit your fives to make it a good call.

I would fold in this situation, but it is a close decision.

Chiefs Fan
06-08-2004, 08:32 AM
Something I read recently was that if you have enough previous callers, you can call a raise with small pocket pairs, you really don't want someone to 3-bet though. If you call the raise and hit your set, the aggressive betting/raising post flop will be to your advantage.

RED_RAIN
06-08-2004, 06:44 PM
You will have 3 callers here almost for sure and then probably another one perhaps 2 if not some behind, with so many cold callers it often temps others to join in. I would call here since you still got pretty early middle position after the cold caller. Fold if you don't hit a set on the flop or OESD.