PDA

View Full Version : I learned it from watching akshawnd

Nate tha' Great
06-08-2004, 01:10 AM
5-handed 10/20. A regular who I have pegged as reasonably tight preflop and okay but not terrific postflop opens UTG. I have played against this guy a lot and he should have a pretty good idea how I play. It's folded around to me in the BB and I just call with J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif.

The flop comes J /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif. I check, he bets, I raise, he 3-bets and I call.

The turn is 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I check, he bets, I raise, and he calls.

The river is 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif. I bet, he raises, I 3-bet, and he calls.

Ulysses
06-08-2004, 01:15 AM
That's what I'm talkin' about!

Though, you raise enough preflop in that situation that you should just go ahead and raise. I don't mind a check there every once in a while, though.

Nate tha' Great
06-08-2004, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's what I'm talkin' about!

Though, you raise enough preflop in that situation that you should just go ahead and raise. I don't mind a check there every once in a while, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably raise 80 or 85 percent of the time in that spot (heads up with a big hand in the BB). I thought that this was a good time for a change-up because (i) the oppenent "knows" that I would always raise that hand here; (ii) he's reasonably tight preflop, so I'm not giving up as much in terms of immediate equity; (iii) JJ isn't a bad hand for it, since you usually have a better idea of where you stand once the flop comes.

1800GAMBLER
06-08-2004, 02:06 AM
Even though the natural way to think is 'he isn't playing junk so i'm not missing big equity here' there's a very select hands a good tight player will open limp with UTG, my guess is 2 of those you have huge equity against and he'll call you down anyhow, the other 2 if he hits he'll call you down/give you action anyhow regardless of your raise.

Nate tha' Great
06-08-2004, 02:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Even though the natural way to think is 'he isn't playing junk so i'm not missing big equity here' there's a very select hands a good tight player will open limp with UTG, my guess is 2 of those you have huge equity against and he'll call you down anyhow, the other 2 if he hits he'll call you down/give you action anyhow regardless of your raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, my terimology was sloppy; by opens I mean open-raised.

1800GAMBLER
06-08-2004, 02:15 AM
I spent 2 hours thinking about my post /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ulysses
06-08-2004, 02:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
by opens I mean open-raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez. That changes everything. Doofus. Nicer hand.

Vehn
06-08-2004, 02:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's folded around to me in the BB and I just call

[/ QUOTE ]