PDA

View Full Version : KQs is sb...

10-05-2001, 04:42 PM
playing 10/20 he at biloxi grand...just moved from easy, loose passive must move game....muck for about ten hands...play appears rational, (no maniacs), and player to my left makes comment that the players in this game are much tougher...

i am in sb get a hand finally...KQs....player 4 to left of bb makes it 20 ( this player has seemed a little loose, but solid..hard to tell..i have never played with any of these players)....player to his immediate left makes it 30 to go...and three players quickly muck...my gut reaction was this was aces raising...but...logic said it could be a a variety of hands...good player trapping loose player and buying position...

anyway i went with instinct...mucked preflop....naturally...reraiser had AA and won a big pot...but i would have made a flush...and won a huge pot....still, i feel i played it correctly....???

commentsa???weak tight????

10-05-2001, 05:06 PM
Scalf-

Regardless of whether your judgement is right or wrong pre-flop, the dealer's gonna flop what flops. I'm sure there've been times when you mucked a 94o for 3 bets and would've won a monster pot. You made the correct play. That's all that matters. Next hand...

10-05-2001, 08:19 PM
You were correct to fold.

10-05-2001, 09:32 PM
since we're talking about KQ, here's a hand i played the other day.

im in the BB with KQo. it's raised in early position by an okay but not great player and called by 2 late position players, one who is terrible, and the button (also weak), and the small blind calls. i call as well. 6 players, 6 big bets.

the flop is 3Q8 rainbow. sb checks, i bet, raiser raises, everyone else folds. i decide to just call and go for a check raise on the turn if a K or A doesnt come.

the turn is another Q. even better! i check, she bets, i raise and she just calls! woohoo.

the river is a 7. i bet and she calls. i get this sinking feeling, im not sure why. as i show my hand i say, "please dont tell me you have ace queen." she shows AQo and that's that.

comments?

10-05-2001, 11:56 PM
The result does not matter. Your making alot of money in the long run playing your hands correctly. Which you did by the way.

10-06-2001, 06:02 AM
If you don't think the preflop raiser would raise on the flop with AK, you might want to strongly consider folding on the flop after she raises you. She has no draw to raise with and probably wouldn't raise with a weaker Q than yours preflop, so you would be praying for a tie.

You play it fine after you make the trips, awful nice of her not to charge you another big bet in there somewhere. If her passivity here is normal, I definitely think you should have folded for her raise on the flop.

10-07-2001, 10:11 PM
THANKYOU VERY MUCH MIKE!!!

This hand is exactly the reason that i muck KQ to a raise preflop!

KQ is a hand which i absolutlely despise!!! I rarely play it at all because of the beats which can be inflicted, of which this is a perfect example.

How to play KQ, i can not tell you, it comes down to feel, but if i were to follow any rule with KQ it would be to muck it preflop to any raise!

Having said that, KQ can be a monster in late position, in which case a pre-flop raise may be a good play.

I have no sympathy for you on this occasion, importantly though, and this may have cost you the hand, is that you were on the bb, meaning you could see the flop cheaply...

Don't take it too hard, this sort of thing happens a lot!!!

Best of luck

Alacatraz

10-14-2001, 10:21 PM
No use looking back with regrets; I think you did the right thing.Based on your short time at the table,can you really cold-call $25 from SB? For all the times you win that large pot, you

must lose many more.I don't see your implied odds as being enough

to justify a call.