PDA

View Full Version : 100 SNG challenge completed; thanks to tommy! [ROI calc. Question]

Peter Harris
06-07-2004, 11:53 PM
Cheers for tommy who initialised the thread on doing 100 SNGs. Sorry for a) not dredging out the thread (still weak on the search function) and b) taking so long!

Question: What figure do i calculate my ROI against? Right now i calculate it as Net(Profit)/Cost of Buyins

So for 10+1 SNGs, if i make $150 that is (net)$40/(buyin)$110, or 36.4%

Or do you calculate Net(profit)/Gross(Profit), which in this case would be 26.7%?

Assuming the latter, here are my results. I even snapped my dry spell of 33 SNGs without a win on the 100th try /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Placings:
1st: 16 [this needs to be a higher proportion to 2nds]
2nd: 14
3rd: 13 [ITM: 43%; this needs improving]
4th: 11 [make the top 3 with 4 left 79.6% of the time - this good?]
5/6th: 25 [make the top 3 with 6 left 54.4% of the time - this low?]
7/8/9/10: 21 [must improve this!]

Net profit (10+1): $380, ROI 34.5% [this figure is acceptable, right?]

The spate of 2nds when i was the favourite HU means i must reevaluate my heads up play. It seems i was worried about last 4 play, but shouldn't be with 80% success, right?

Looks like i need to study up on last 6 play, as well as not busting out in the bottom 4 21% of the time!

Any comments on figures would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea what consistently good figures should be. I think i'll play another 100 at 10+1 before moving up /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks in advance,
Peter Harris

PS thanks again to Tommy, without him i wouldn't be $380 richer!

SparkMan
06-08-2004, 12:30 AM
It cost you $1100 to play 100 SnGs. You got back $1440. Therefore your ROI is ($1440 - $1100)/$1100 = .309 or 30.9%
Not to shabby. Keep up the good work!

SparkMan
06-08-2004, 12:33 AM
Sorry $380/$1100 34.5% is correct

Peter Harris
06-08-2004, 04:59 AM
So it is Net/Buyins not Gross/Buyins or Net/Gross.

How confusing...

PH

dfscott
07-08-2004, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So it is Net/Buyins not Gross/Buyins or Net/Gross.

How confusing...

PH

[/ QUOTE ]

It's because it's a measure of how much money you "created" from your investment. Excuse me while I digress into an accounting discussion:

It's basically illustrating how profitable the activity of playing the SnG was as opposed to some other use of that money. If you entered 100 SnGs and won back exactly the cost of the entry fees, you'd have an ROI of 0%, indicating that there was no monetary value in that activity (i.e., it would be just as profitable for you to stick that money in a box for the duration of the time you played the SnGs).

You can almost look at it like interest rates on saving accounts, money markets, etc. If your ROI isn't as high as the interest rate your local bank is giving, you'd be better off just sticking that money into the bank. (Note that this equation ignores "soft" benefits such as entertainment value, skill improvement, etc.).

If you had enough spare time, you could tell all your friends that you could pay them X% interest on their money. As long as (X < ROI), you could take the money they give you and play SnG's with it and you'd make money.

TheDrone
07-08-2004, 03:21 PM
Peter,

80% ITM when down to four is a good number. As for your early exits (7-10), 21% does seem high but it really depends on what happened.

If you take good notes or have the patience to look through hand histories, you should be able to weed out the bad beats and focus on your questionable plays (trying not to be results oriented, of course). Post those plays here to get feedback.

Just my two cents.