PDA

View Full Version : Loose/Tight 20/40

10-04-2001, 07:45 PM
I have some things I need help with. My recent session gained me about $120 a hr for my play of 5 hrs ,, thow at one certain point I was up $1200. In the first 3 hrs of play,, the game was loose when I sat down I watched number of hands being called down at the river by all that entered preflop, most of the time six handed ,, some even family pots... so here is what happened ,, the game kept getting short handed then back to full then 45 min, later back to 5-6 players,, so in the swing of things I managed to to build a stack off a $200. buy in,, to just over $1100. then the table did something ,, it was so loose then with out me knowing what had hit im being creamed with trips straights and even had 3 full houses beated ,, ON THE FLOP no less! I just thought mayby I was getting tired making bad decisions,, or then again mayby playing too loose in a game that tightened up with out me relizing it,, so here is the hand that I decided that I was a winner I was leaving,, Not to mention it PISSED me off,,

SB with AQs h 3 callers button raises I call BB calls..

flop . A 9 Q

I bet Bb calls 2 fold and last to act raises,, I reraise ,, BB reraises me,, and last to act capps it,,

turn 9 I check BB bets last to act folds ,, I raised,, he raised I call,,, river,, 3 I check he bets I call,,, BB Q 9o I left. comments please.

10-04-2001, 08:15 PM
First of all, you were lucky to run your $200 minimum buy-in up as high as you did. Were you ready to put more money in play if you lost your five big bets (typically in one bad hand)? Anyway, on to the hand. I would have strongly considered making it 3 bets before the flop; I'm suited and I'm going to play. Since my hand plays well multi-way or heads up against the button, the raise can only be a good thing and would have probably chased out the BB. Since you just called, I would have check-raised the flop in an effort to get it heads up (which, of course, would not have worked here). When BB call-raises you, time to get worried but also note he could have AK leaving you ahead. Also, unfortunately, he would probably play a set of Queens or 9's like he did (this is why it is helpful not to post results until later). When the 9 pairs, I would check and call. You cost yourself WAY too many bets here; the button folded to one bet, if you reraise the BB will only raise again if he beats you. Since you can't lay it down at this point, just check and call and see the showdown as cheaply as possible ($80 instead of $160). If you are ahead, the money will go in anyway, but in the likely event you're not, you will save bets.

Good Luck

Jeff

10-05-2001, 06:56 PM
"Not to mention it PISSED me off,,

SB with AQs h 3 callers button raises I call BB calls..

flop . A 9 Q

I bet Bb calls 2 fold and last to act raises,, I reraise ,, BB reraises me,, and last to act capps it,,

turn 9 I check BB bets last to act folds ,, I raised,, he raised I call,,, river,, 3 I check he bets I call,,, BB Q 9o I left. comments please."

why should you be pissed? you misplayed the hand. if you are going to get pissed because people are playing Q9o against you and getting very much the worst of it then you shouldnt play poker because that is something you should be delighted by, even when they suck out on you.

i think in a loose game like this you should 3 bet this from the sb preflop. that is debatable though.

on the turn you need to just call when you are raised or better yet lay it down. you have to be worried that someone has A9, Q9, hell any 9 has you beat man. reraising on the turn here is a big mistake. you can fold pretty easily when you bet and he raises you on the turn. the only possible hand he could have that he wouldve played like that on the flop and turn that doesnt beat you is AQ and even then you split the pot and it's unlikely that 9 on the turn wouldnt scare him into slowing down.