PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Bluff Created a Problem

10-04-2001, 10:39 AM
After 4 limpers, I limped in the sb with Kh,3h

The flop came Ah,Ac,5s. It was checked around.

The turn was a 7h. I bet.

Question #1- Was this a bad bet? It can't be too wrong to check a possible 12 out hand, right? On the other hand, there was some chance I could win right away and I thought I wanted a better king to fold.

The bb raised and everyone folded to me. After some deliberation I called.

Question #2- I was deliberating making it 3 bets. The bb was loose/aggressive and often out of line, but he was also capable of folding a hand. He might have checked an ace (or better) on the flop, but it was likely he also had picked up a draw or was simply trying to protect a marginal hand. His being the bb meant that if he had a 7 or a 5, it could be 7X or 5X without a reasonable kicker. Then again, I can't entirely rule out the possibility I'm drawing dead. How many would make it 3-bets here?

I got lucky and rivered a king. I checked and called. He rolled pocket sixes and I won the pot. I think I may have played this hand poorly throughout. I'd appreciate comments. Thanks.

Kevin

10-04-2001, 11:03 AM
Flop I'd act same way.

4th street - I think you played it ok. Flush draw is maybe what he put you on. Might have put you on a 3.

5th street - Again I think your play ias ok. Since he bet he put you on a 3 or he has an Ace. I'd call too.

10-04-2001, 11:12 AM
I would bet on the turn almost everytime. If the BB is a decent player he should raise here with anyhand that has a chance to win the pot immediately. He has the best hand on the turn and should raise to keep anyone from drawing out.

the reason to reraise the turn is if he will semibluff raise and will fold if you reraise. Otherwise with the outs you have you should just call.

Pat

10-04-2001, 11:38 AM
how would he put him on a 3????

10-04-2001, 12:15 PM

10-04-2001, 01:43 PM
Opponent value bets on river. Wouldn’t value bet if he thought opponent had A,K or 7. Opponent has showdown value with 6,6. Opponent thinks hero would play a 3 exactly same way by flop check and turn bet. Check to opponent on river. Opponent can check it back but bets. With a hand that has showdown value he could check it back if he was concerned about being beat and avoid possible river check raise. If opponent put hero on flush draw no need to bet river either. Opponent knows hero is in pretty deep by putting in 2 big bets on turn. A seven fell on turn so if opponent has 7 he ain’t laying it down. If he has K opponent knows he ain’t laying it down if won’t laydown a 7 and hero isn’t laying down an Ace. All this shows is that opponents bet is not a bluff but a value bet and the only value bet that makes sense is against a 3.

10-04-2001, 03:47 PM
"The flop came Ah,Ac,5s. It was checked around.

The turn was a 7h. I bet."

i think you mean a 5...

makes sense now.

kevin did have a 3, thats what threw me.

10-04-2001, 03:49 PM
Sorry I did mean 5

10-05-2001, 12:31 AM
I think it was perfect,I can only guess the player(pk).

cheese

10-05-2001, 02:01 AM
Thanks Patrick- You wrote:

"the reason to reraise the turn is if he will semibluff raise and will fold if you reraise. Otherwise with the outs you have you should just call."

This is just really close. Yes, he's capable of folding for a re-raise depending on what he had. But it wasn't just what he held that I was worried about. I also think this is a great example of how imortant it is to pay attention to an opponent's emotional state. This guy was starting to tilt and I was afraid this meant he'd be more likely to call me down with a marginal hand so I chose not to re-raise. Thanks again.

10-05-2001, 02:17 AM
swiss cheese-

You must have missed a line from my orginal post, "The bb was loose/aggressive and often out of line, but he was also CAPABLE OF FOLDING A HAND.

I direct you to the capital letters. Does this sound like PK? :>) Just kidding...

You might laugh, but I think he's a fairly formidable opponent in these spots. Whether knowingly or not, he uses semi-bluffs and semi-bluff raises and actually employs close to correct game theory in hands like this. He's also tenacious which is often correct in short-handed situations. Of course this is coming from a total egg, but he does give me problems at times.

btw- it was not PK.

10-05-2001, 02:19 AM
swiss cheese-

You must have missed a line from my orginal post, "The bb was loose/aggressive and often out of line, but he was also CAPABLE OF FOLDING A HAND.

I direct you to the capital letters. Does this sound like PK? :>) Just kidding...

You might laugh, but I think he's a fairly formidable opponent in these spots. Whether knowingly or not, he uses semi-bluffs and semi-bluff raises and actually employs close to correct game theory in hands like this. He's also tenacious which is often correct in short-handed situations. Of course this is coming from a total egg, but he does give me problems at times.

btw- it was not PK.

10-05-2001, 09:01 AM
I think you played this fine. I would have played it the same way. Ocasionally i will 3 bet the turn if i suspect weakness or an out of line play.

10-05-2001, 07:23 PM
How likely is this guy to raise you on the turn if he had an ace? For some players a shut out raise like this is a dead giveaway that they don't have an ace, as 1) they want the other players to call, and 2) they are afraid you will fold for the raise, but might bet the river if they just call.

If you know he would play like this, I think you should reraise the turn since he cannot rule out you holding an ace (you could have easily been going for a check raise on the flop, and missed). If he is capable of laying down a hand (as you say he is), then I think a reraise vastly increases your chances of winning outright if he would be unlikely to hold an ace. And of course you still have your flush outs (and maybe a king out), if he calls your reraise. Otherwise, I think you played this hand fine.

As a side note, if it took me too long to decide to reraise on the turn, I would just call. For most players, this pause would create enough doubt in their minds to call down with a weak hand.

10-06-2001, 08:13 AM
Kevin,

I also think that you played the hand fine. I would RARELY(as in: ALMOST NEVER) 3-bet the turn--w/ four limpers the bb should very often have an ace to raise you w/ those four players left to act. I realize that you pointed out this player's aggressiveness but if he can lay down a hand, he can also realize the likelyhood of someone holding an ace...that no one had one is beside the point. That he didn't have one...well, I would consider myself lucky, and that's if I call the river. BTW, if I'm holding an ace in your position and I get raised I probably call the raise on the turn and check-call the river unless I fill or my ace is very big and your BB is just throwing money at me...what a great country this is!!!

Just my opinion,

Mike