PDA

View Full Version : Pounding straight/flush draws on the flop

Xiphoid
06-07-2004, 05:24 PM
I was browsing through some of the "Favorite Posts" threads and I came across this one (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=&Number=451440&page=&view= &sb=5&o=&fpart=1), which sees a poster pounding his open-ended straight draw on the flop and ultimately capping it. There is a nice explanation by JohnShaft on why this is a feasible and profitable strategy.

I'm posting this because this is completely different than what I have done over my six months of playing. Changing this could likely have a large impact on my game, so I'd like to get imput from you guys on how many of you pound your draws on the flop and under what conditions. Mainly:

1) Do you do this?
2) Has it been profitable?
3) Do you do it only when another player or two has shown aggression (they're likely to raise you back)?
4) How many people do you want in when doing this (does it matter)?
5) If you have poor position, what about check-raising your draws?

Thanks. I've always played my draws passively to keep people in and ensure my variance isn't all over the place.

cold_cash
06-07-2004, 05:35 PM
I think one important pre-requisite to playing a draw aggresively and for value is that enough people are already in. You're not really trying to "keep" them in, you're trying to "trap" them in. If they can't be trapped, you might play it more passively.

On the othe hand, if you notice that the action has happened in such a way that enough players will be stuck in the pot, knock yourself out and raise/re-raise.

What's most important is exactly how many people you can trap, coupled with the strength of your draw. I think that's what ultimately decides how agressively a draw should be played.

illunious
06-07-2004, 06:26 PM
I will have a very large impact. Like I said in the post, I think it turned me into a winning player.