PDA

View Full Version : Last hand Heads Up: Did I pass the AQo test?

FOSTERKID1
06-07-2004, 03:36 PM
Single-Table Tourney, heads up. Blinds 50-100. The other player is extremely tight but inconsistently passive/aggressive. He has about 2700 to my 2300. Somewhere between 15 and 20 hands pass without a flop, most of them on SB folds. His body language is impatient.

Here's the hand. I get AQo in the SB and call. He puts in a small raise in the BB. I reraise all-in. He quickly calls and turns over the black 8s. Board misses me. Game over.

My thinking was that the limp and the reraise were justified by both his tightness and his impatience. Did I play it poorly, or should I forget about it? Is this even a hand to talk about? Forgive me if it isn't.

durron597
06-07-2004, 03:55 PM
With your opponent playing that tightly, I would start stealing blinds. Depending on just how tight (and flexible) he is, you would probably be able to catch enough blinds to be ahead here when this hand happens. Say you were to steal a bunch of blinds and then he does this when you have AQo. Depending on your read, you might be able to put him on "being aggressive". If he's weak/tight enough that this is a rare occurence, lay down the AQ for another day. If he had AK, AA, KK or QQ you are a dog, with a lower pair it's a coinflip and thus not worth it if you know you can get away with stealing - unless you had stolen enough blinds by this point that the game will still be competitive if you double him up; if that is the case showing down that AQ there has the added advantage of making him respect your steal raises more.

Anyway, unless you are sure you can put him on anything less than AK, or a pocket pair, I would fold here and make up for it by stealing.