PDA

View Full Version : Too much credit for opponent?

10-02-2001, 03:57 PM
I was in a 10-20 online game with a relatively unknown lineup. Probably becuase it was late at night instead of daytime.

A player who seemed to be a little loose aggressive preflop, but seemd to play ok, is acting just after me. He reraied my UTG raise with AJo a few minutes prior.

The game has tightened up some, and I have only shown down super strong hands and have been playing tight. The first 3 players pass, and I raise with 88.

This player makes it 3 bets, and the BB and I call.

The flop is a dream - K83 rainbow. Here's a situation where the cards are trivial to analyze, but the proper strategy is not.

I check, 3 bettor bets, BB calls. I raise, 3 bettor 3 bets, I call. I conclude from this that he does not have KK, but has something, likeley but not necessarily a king.

The Turn is a 4. I bet, opponent raises. I call.

The river is a 9. I bet with the intention of reraising a raise once but calling a 4 bet.

I gave this player credit for most of the following 4 things:

1) the capacity to lay down a king with a Q or worse kicker to a turn 3 bet, or to only call down a flop 4 bet.

2) the capacity to 3 bet the flop, and check behind me with a king or QQ on the turn, if he did not have AK, realizing that free cards are not dangerous.

3) the capacity to raise the turn to get a free showdown unless they improved.

4) The following reads/thoughts:

a) Stop - n- go on flop/turn means decent but not great hand - something like JJ or KJs. This is often done to deny free cards.

b) Check - raise on turn after flop check - raise and 3 bet means AK or better.

However, I did not give him credit for understanding that with this board, there's no reasonable hand with which one could make a free card raise - unless he has A8s, 89s, 78s or A3s, which I thought was borderline impossible.

I also did not give him credit for figuring out what I was doing, and was counting on him raising the river with AK.

Am I giving a relatively unknown player too much credit in this situation? Any thought on the hand appreciated. Thanks.

Dan Z.

10-02-2001, 04:37 PM
Dan-

I think you played this hand very well. You have to figure a set of eights is good. I agree that raising the turn with the intention of checking it down the river is an all too common play for an aggressive player to make (I make it myself often enough). Unless he's an action player in addition to being aggressive, he likely lays down a pair of kings and some would even fold AA for 3 bets. So I really like your check/raise followed by two stop'n-goes. Sounds like you maxed this one out. How did the river play?

10-02-2001, 04:51 PM
Dan,

I have to run, so I'm just going to give you a quick reacion.

I think that in the long run 3 betting the turn will be more profitable. In general, I think it usually best to play one's hand pretty straightforwardly when out of position with a big hand. Getting in extra bets with a more complicated strategy usually has a small upside, a substantial downside, and requires a parlay of probabilities to work out. I wish I could remember the title of the thread, but you should search the general forum (under Hold'em I think) for stuff on this by Louie Landale (she's talking about waiting until the turn to raise, but some of the same issues apply).

Sorry for giving general advice and not specific commentary--just a time constraint.

-Dan

10-02-2001, 09:06 PM
The only thing I don't like is the call for the raise on the turn. The pot is big now, you should reraise. If he wants to call to try to suck out, or he thinks his hand might be good thats great. But you should not give him a free shot to beat you if he is drawing live. You may not get a call on the river playing it sneaky likr this anyway. but you get alot of poeple to chase on the turn. And even make a curiousity call on the river.

10-03-2001, 12:27 PM
My opponent seemed to struggle with the river for a couple seconds - he may have been debating a raise, or a fold. He called and had KQo.

I am still not sure if I made a big bet or lost a big bet, or neither with this one, but I thought some of the analysis of the opponent and the betting strategy was interesting and open for debate.

Thanks for the responses.

Dan Z.