PDA

View Full Version : cold,cold four hours of flops

10-02-2001, 03:53 PM
I just returned to a 15/30 hold-em game after several months of not playing.In the first hour I was dealt pockeet AA,KK,QQ to lose on each hand.AA beat by big blind of 6/9, KK beat by two players by A on flop, QQ beat by two players by K on flop.Now guess what?the next three hours I played few hands yet never, never helped a flop.I only one one hand in four hours.And the over head in blinds is $125 per hour.

Is this too short of a period to make any judgements? I have many times been beat by a river card, yet I could not get by the flop with any hand for four hours. I quit, and went home.I did not think anything would change. This was a terrible way to return after several months of not playing!

Any comments would be appreciated.

10-02-2001, 04:24 PM
I know of no players who complain about their luck who win. The cards have no memory. The odds of catching an Ace or a King to your A-K are about 1 in 3. This means the odds are 2 to 1 against helping on a flop EVERY TIME you hold A-K. You win money with good situations, not good cards. Be thankful the A and K came on the flop when you had KK and QQ, rather than the river. This way you can look on it as good luck, not bad.

My guess is you won't find one player who posts here who hasn't had a worse stretch than winning only one hand in four hours. Frustrating, I know, after not playing for a while, but it happens. Get back on the horse and make sure you're riding to the best of your ability.

10-02-2001, 04:42 PM
"Is this too short of a period to make any judgements?"

I'd have to say so. Four hours does not a long term make. In fact, it's not even a blink of an eye. Hang in there.

10-02-2001, 11:44 PM
I would like to offer my services to help ease your obvious pain.

Call 1 888 BADBEAT for the most reasonable rate of only 99c per whine. (Maximum 20 whines per call, must be very self centered and unaware of the short term reality of swings in poker to call.

10-03-2001, 02:04 AM
I was in a great 10-20 game this weekend. 6 or 7 people taking every flop. I got a fair share of good starting hands but had to give up on the flop a lot of the time when i missed and was led into. over the course of 5 hours i lost $700. It hurts watching the suckers drag in $300 pot after $300 pot and not getting any of it. Anyhow, here's the last hand i went all in on.

I'm dealt black 7s UTG and limp. 6 players come in behind me including the blinds. flop comes Jc 7h 3c.

I lead. get two callers, a very passive women in the cuttoff raises! this screams flushdraw too me (she would have raised with JJ preflop), maybe pocket 3's. I 3 bet, the callers fold (must have noticed this is the fisrt hand i've put flop money in in hours). turn is the Kc. I check, she bets, I get the last of my money in.

please pair the board, please pair the board. River Jh

I confidently turn over 7's full, she turns over KJs for runner runner full /images/frown.gif

I take my 1 white chip, put it in my pocket, and tell everyone to have a good evening.

rob

10-03-2001, 11:00 AM
I bet the first hour where you were getting great preflop cards was a lot more expensive than the next three. I personally don't mind long stretches of horrible cards. They are easy decisions, and I comfort myself with the thought I am playing my cards correctly.

Once you felt you were 'snakebit' you should have left. You are an easy target with an attitude like that. Come back to the table confidently. Over the course of your lifetime, you will show a profit with AA, KK and QQ.

10-03-2001, 01:35 PM
Laddie- were you playing in the 15-30 at Bellagio with me yesterday.? You have exactly described my experience there!. The "babe" was in a good game with almost every pot 2-3 bet BTF and millions of callers. Also, had one really poor player who dumped a rack of red in 12 minutes! Unfortunately, from 1-5 PM I won only 2 hands in this game. Needless to say, I left a loser for the day, mostly due to the "vig". But today is another day, and I know in the LONG run, the "babe" gets her share of wins. You definately did the right thing by cutting your losses. One of my rules is to never chase when I'm losing. Good luck and don't give up!

10-03-2001, 05:56 PM
"a good game with almost every pot 2-3 bet BTF"

Better games have only 1 bet BTF and millions of callers. IMHO.