PDA

View Full Version : So many aces, what should I do?

10-01-2001, 05:23 PM
20/40 Hold'em

It is my second round in the game, and most of the faces are new to me. The game was six handed (I think, maybe seven handed) I open for a raise in the cutoff with A9o. Only the BB calls. My impression of the BB is that he is decent though somewhat on the loose aggressive side.

The flop comes A A 4. The BB bets.

What is your action, or alternatively, what are the probabalistic weights of your various actions? Or, if you prefer, please list the factors you would consider in order of importance.

(My only previous hand was one in which open raised from the cutoff and took the pot down without a showdown after betting the flop and turn.)

Thanks for your comments.

-Dan

10-01-2001, 05:25 PM
i would call.

let the BB bluff off his money.

i would bet the turn/river if he checks.

10-01-2001, 07:14 PM
Call and lower the boom on either the turn or river. Slowplaying here is much different than in Jim's 30-60 hand below as it's heads-up and it sure looks like your opponent is bluffing or has perhaps a 2 outer to beat you with some kind of pocket pair.

10-01-2001, 07:20 PM
Since the big blind did not 3-bet your steal-raise, he almost certainly does not have a bigger ace. You are an overwhelming favorite to end up with the best hand. I would call and pop him on the turn. Another play might be to call here and on the turn then pop him at the river but he may not bet the river at that point.

10-01-2001, 07:30 PM
I just called on the flop. The turn was a queen. He checked, I bet, and he folded.

Thanks for the responses.

-Dan

10-01-2001, 08:28 PM
actually it depends who my opponents is. if he is intelligent i will raise the flop. calling with 2 AA's on the board looks suspiciious after raising. this is a case where you look weaker by raising. a bad player i just call til river then raise

10-01-2001, 08:37 PM
I have to agree... I think if the other player knows that you are at all sophisticated, you should raise b/c he wouldn't think you would play flopped trips that fast. A call here smells strongly of such a hand. Moreover, I don't think he's ever gonna call your raise with less than a hand that beats you (after a smoothcall on the flop), so I think the raise on the flop has the added benefit of keeping him in longer with an inferior hand (say something like TT.)

-CW

10-02-2001, 12:14 AM
Dan,

I read the first three responses but not the results. I agree with the call on the flop in this spot. Then tend to wait until the river to raise someone with a lot of follow through. Tend to raise the turn against an opponent with less follow through.

My answer would be a little different if you were in an extended head up or short handed session. Now you have to raise with some of your big hands to cover your raises with junk hands. Balancing is not so important in the situation above since you just joined the table. Get the money now.

Regards,

Rick

10-02-2001, 05:50 AM
I'm surprised no one suggested this yet, but I might check behind on the turn. As people have pointed out, the call on the flop looks mighty suspicious. Most hands without an ace either raise or fold in that spot, with the exception of perhaps kings and queens. However, I think a check on the turn would remove this doubt from the BB's mind and you have a better chance at picking up one, maybe even two bets on the river. A check behind just begs to be bet into on the river, but not suspiciously so. What do you all think?

Alex

10-02-2001, 06:34 PM
Yes, absolutely. I know it gives a free shot at a two-outer, but that's a risk I am willing to take. Besides, many times the flop-bet into you will be an X on the AAX flop. I have used the play you have described with great success in the past. The key is to mix it up with the jam-the-flop strat (maybe at a ratio of 2:1) so they don't stop betting into you/paying you off.

-CW