PDA

View Full Version : will i be called with a worse hand?

10-01-2001, 12:41 PM
I open raise on the button in a 4-handed game. I have been speeding a bit, but just got caught stealing on the last hand. My image is probably that of a bluffer.

I have 4h-4d.

SB and BB call.

FLOP:

4c-5c-7h

checked to me, I bet, both call.

TURN:

4c-5c-7h--7c

checked to me, I bet, both call.

RIVER:

4c-5c-7h--7c--5s

checked to me, now what?

10-01-2001, 03:02 PM
Bet since you will be called with many worse hands held by typical mediocre opponents.

Note that they will tend to put you on an overpair, overcards, or even an ace high. They can tie an ace high with an ace of their own and they may hope for a win when you are bluff betting overcards. So expect calls from dry aces and scared flushes plus some other hands you beat.

If someone had a seven you would have found out on the turn. If someone had a five they would tend to bet the river since they don't fear a seven in your hand much.

Regards,

Rick

10-01-2001, 03:06 PM
nf,

I grit my teeth(hopefully not so they can see /images/smile.gif ) and bet; you may get a call by an ace,there surly aren't any overpairs out there from the way this hand played. If one of your opponents has a 5 ( a 7 seems pretty unlikely at this point) they should probably be thinking of betting and hope to be called by an ace. I say take advantage of the speedy image that you currently have and hope for a crying call or bluff-check-raise--gotta call if raised in this spot.

Mike

10-01-2001, 03:10 PM
but you can bet I would if the cards were in front of me. Pretty unlikely that anyone has it though...hope they got an ace and a crying call in them. Mike

10-01-2001, 03:12 PM
In a shorthanded game, it's unlikely that either of your opponents has a 5 or a 7 (you would have heard from them earlier particularly given your image as a bluffer). Even if they were slowplaying a 7, it's likely that they would bet it on the river unless they can count on you to bet the river with nothing.

I would bet and hope to get a call from Ace high. I believe that the chances of that are way higher than the chances of being checkraised. Also, when playing shorthanded (and I am no expert - believe me), I would think that value betting is very important. You simply can't be seen as a player who will only bet when holding a very strong hand or when bluffing.

BTW, if you do get raised, you probably have to call (given that they could be bluff raising because you are a bluffer).

10-01-2001, 04:49 PM

10-01-2001, 05:22 PM
i did bet, sb folded, bb called, and i took the pot.

bb did not show.

at the time i figured a full house would not get checked to me as i had bet the turn and then just showed down on two previous hands, but OTOH, what could call?

any decent ace or pocket pair would have 3-bet me preflop, a flush would've check-raised the turn, most likely.

i didnt put anyone on an ace, and didnt figure a king would call here.

10-01-2001, 05:24 PM
nt