PDA

View Full Version : who made the better play

patrick dicaprio
06-07-2004, 08:31 AM
this is a hand from a 10+1 SnG on pokerstars. Player 1 had stolen the blinds against player 2 the last two occasions that player 1 was the small blind and it was folded to him.the names have been changed to protect the innocent..the game was five handed at this point and the blinds were 50/100.

Kingrydawg: folds
ian15: folds
The Zone: folds
player 1: raises 200 to 300
player 2: raises 1345 to 1645 and is all-in
player 2: calls 1345
*** FLOP *** [7d Js 4c]
*** TURN *** [7d Js 4c] [Qc]
*** RIVER *** [7d Js 4c Qc] [5h]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
player 1: shows [Qh Ad] (a pair of Queens)
player 2: shows [Jc 7c] (two pair, Jacks and Sevens)
player 2 collected 3290 from pot

any comments on the play of either player would be appreciated. i will admit that i was one of them.

Pat

Hiding
06-07-2004, 09:07 AM
For what it is worth, if I were player two and suspected this guy was just stealing blinds I probably would have just shot back at him with a reraise,( but not my stack on J7s especially when they have me covered) and folded if he came back over the top. If I am player one this is what I have been waiting for. Letting player 2 think its another steal and then seeing him come all in at me when I have real cards. Player 2 got lucky.

durron597
06-07-2004, 02:44 PM
But a smaller raise would have pot committed player two... even with a minraise that's 38% of his stack... and a minraise would not get a stealer worth his salt to fold, ever. J7s is not the hand that player two wants to make his stand against the stealer with anyway, but as Hiding said, player two got lucky.

EverettKings
06-07-2004, 04:22 PM
Player 1 certainly played this hand well, using his steal image to his advantage.
Player 2 should first of all realize that player 1 probably knows how suspicious he looks, but obviously theres a good chance player 1 is stealing. In any case it's reckless to go all in here, because if he wasnt stealing you'll need to beat the odds to stay in the tournament, and it doesn't take much to be ahead of J7s. I would fold, and wait for a real hand to play back at him with. It's silly to risk 1600 chips and the tournament to possibly win 400 if he's stealing against you, and it's not like folding your 100 big blind will cripple you. If you don't want to fold, the other play would be to reraise him to about 800 (half of your stack). I doubt that a stealer would come back over the top of you here, so let it go if he reraises, or if you miss the flop and he bets into you. I still think folding is the most correct, but at least give yourself an out.

patrick dicaprio
06-08-2004, 05:37 PM
unfortunately I was player 1. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Pat

EverettKings
06-08-2004, 05:49 PM
Well then forget about it. You played well, got your money in when you had the best of it, and got unlucky. Obviously you made the better play-- I can't imagine this thread will even help you. I know that it helps to vent about a bad beat, but that's poker. If you want advice or analysis let the forum know.

patrick dicaprio
06-10-2004, 08:11 AM
i didnt think it was that simple because if he goes over the top he could have a hand better than mine. te simple fact is that there is no hand that he can have that i am a huge fav to so the issue is whether knowing that should i call an all in bet. most of the hands he can have I am less than a 2-1 fav.

pat

Rick Diesel
06-10-2004, 08:25 AM
I'm not trying to be mean here, but this is a pretty dumb question that I think you already know the answer to. If two players get all-in preflop, then obviously the one with the better hand (player 1) made the better play. Player 2 just got luckier.

Rick Diesel