PDA

View Full Version : Game 7 tonight

Rushmore
06-07-2004, 08:06 AM
Seeing as the series has the lowest ratings in history or something, I figured I'd remind you guys of something you don't care about:

Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals is tonight. It's the oldest trophy in sports, up for grabs in the deciding game of what has been an excellent series between two teams who clearly don't like one another.

I'm sure the NBA seems more exciting to you all, but why not give this a try? I mean, if you don't like it, you can always go back over to Everyone Loves Raymond, American Abjection, or maybe Friends, who will teach us all how to live and love and laugh again.

Sorry. Got sidetracked. Watch the NHL tonight. Be smart.

tyfromm
06-07-2004, 08:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Watch the NHL tonight

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, I didn't realize there was a National Holdem League. Thanks for the heads up. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sloats
06-07-2004, 10:13 AM
After the mockery that is "Know Goal?" on game 6, this league deserves to collapse.

good job, bettman.

Gamblor
06-07-2004, 10:48 AM
On the CBC broadcast Harry Neale mentioned that the video review team upstairs (during the next stoppage) saw that it might have been a goal, but there was no conclusive evidence to rule it a goal definitively. Sounds like more of the NHL’s usual horseshit.

Should be one hell of a game 7. As if there was ever a Game 7 that wasn’t.

Gamblor
06-07-2004, 10:51 AM
Lecavalier has no goals and 2 assists in his last 7 games.

Stanley Cup Finals. Game 7. There's nothing better in the entire world.

Bump-en-Stein
06-07-2004, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals is tonight. It's the oldest trophy in sports, up for grabs in the deciding game of what has been an excellent series between two teams who clearly don't like one another.

[/ QUOTE ]

The America's Cup for sailing is the oldest trophy in sports; Stanley Cup is the oldest trophy in team sports.

Of course, sailing is a team sport, so I don't know how this has been determined.

The point is: as Rushmore stated, you guys are missing out on something pretty exciting. Put some money on an overtime game and see how it goes. Its a white knuckler, very exciting.

Rushmore
06-07-2004, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
After the mockery that is "Know Goal?" on game 6, this league deserves to collapse

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason it was inconclusive was because the puck could very well have been rolling, and on its side, as opposed to laying flat on the ice, across the line.

One might have also made the argument that the puck was essentially kicked in, as well.

Anyway, watch the damned game and stop complaining, you all bunch of complaining complainers.

Gamblor
06-07-2004, 12:00 PM
The NHLs argument was that the puck was in the air and this the visible white ice was actually below the puck, not between the puck and the red line.

What a bunch of Commies.

Sloats
06-07-2004, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
After the mockery that is "Know Goal?" on game 6, this league deserves to collapse

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason it was inconclusive was because the puck could very well have been rolling, and on its side, as opposed to laying flat on the ice, across the line.

One might have also made the argument that the puck was essentially kicked in, as well.

Anyway, watch the damned game and stop complaining, you all bunch of complaining complainers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see that you are from Tampa. Let me tip my hand to you a little more: I want Chuk to raise the cup. I am just disgusted with the league, with how it is operated, and how they try to fix things. The league is a conspiracy theorists wet dream.

And I would have dismissed the goal as a kick. The player followed the puck with his eyes and turned to stop to make perfect contact. It was not a direct kicking motion and I am in support of a rule change for redirection with skates, I still think the non call, non stopage of play, the non review of a questionable call was horse crap.

Wait, we are talking about last night, right?

Gamblor
06-07-2004, 12:12 PM
Stanley Cup Finals, Game 7.

As kids, we used to make mix tapes of the music that they played in Maple Leaf Gardens, we used to tape numbers to the backs of our jerseys, and we used to draw the lines in chalk on the cement just to be in the game. We'd tap the goalie on the pads like the Leafs, we'd play a tape of the national anthem like the Gardens. We'd have commercial breaks (code for "water break") and we'd dream it a million times.

Stanley Cup Finals, Game 7, Overtime.

One shot makes you either the goat of all goats if that was your missed coverage, or fulfills the lifelong dream of every kid who ever played ball hockey with his buddies in the backyard.

I can't tell you how many times I've scored that goal - and lifted the Cup - in my head.

nolanfan34
06-07-2004, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it was conclusive. I watched replays on ABC and CBC and I thought it looked like the puck was off the ground, so it was very hard to tell.

In the end, it's better off that they're going to settle it on the ice with a game 7. Had they counted it as a goal, you'd have just as much complaining about the way it finished. I was rooting for Calgary, I wanted to see if the city would go up in flames if they clinched it on home ice. That Red Mile looked like it was going to explode.

Semi off-topic...I think it was one of the ABC commentators that said the Red Mile had a better ring to it than the Red 1.6 kilometers....I thought that was funny.

As for Lecavlier, I agree with Don Cherry, he's playing with a concussion. By the look on his face, he doesn't seem to even know where he is half the time on the ice. Dazed and confused.

Can't wait for the game tonight, hope it's close throughout.

Rushmore
06-07-2004, 02:47 PM
Gamblor, if you're not careful, I'm gonna start agreeing with some of your other posts.

Reading your post, I actually smiled involuntarily before I read the title of the post.

scrub
06-08-2004, 03:28 PM
I stopped playing hockey when I was 14, and got out of the habit of watching as my Rangers got more and more sickening.

My father and I tuned into the game almost as an afterthought when we realized the Red Sox had an off night(our cable provider finally picked up NESN this year /images/graemlins/laugh.gif). We only saw the third period, but it was one of the best sporting events we have watched together in a long time.

It was a shame that the late penalty had to break up the manic energy of those last few Flames rushes. No way not to call it, though.

Too bad there isn't going to be a season next year--I'd almost get back into being a fan... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

scrub

OldLearner
06-08-2004, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It was a shame that the late penalty had to break up the manic energy of those last few Flames rushes. No way not to call it, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was another BRUTAL call by Kerry Frazer (he is well known for making brutal calls in critical situations).

It was a clean, tough hit. It was shoulder on visor, resulting in the cuts and the blood.

But, you can blame officiating all you want, Calgary probably wouldn't have scored anyways.

Fantastic game!

TimTimSalabim
06-08-2004, 06:44 PM
I watched enough of it last night to remind me why I don't watch much hockey. They have that idiotic concept that they shouldn't call penalties near the end of the game unless they're extreme. So apparently, it's okay to call a penalty in the first period that could decide the game, but not in the third period.

Gamblor
06-08-2004, 07:49 PM
They don't award the Stanley Cup to referees, and that's why referees shouldn't decide the game.

TimTimSalabim
06-08-2004, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They don't award the Stanley Cup to referees, and that's why referees shouldn't decide the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is that a penalty called (or not called) in the first period could just as easily decide the game as one called late. Should we just get rid of the referees entirely?

bugstud
06-08-2004, 08:04 PM
It's my pet peeve in sports. It's supposed to be an infraction ALL THE TIME, not just the first 2 periods or whatever other sport. A balk in the 9th inning is still a F$%^ing balk.

Six_of_One
06-08-2004, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If the referees fail to call a penalty late in the game, they ARE deciding the game. The only fair way is to call it the same all the way through.