PDA

View Full Version : The rise and fall of the mega-aggro

gonores
06-07-2004, 07:43 AM
No less than 6 months ago, the base of 10/206max Party regulars was teeming with this popular species of player. These animals were characterized by a high PFR% and bet-when-checked-to syndrome, often coupled with nomadic tendencies that had them moving from table to table. Being able to feed on the passive, often weak-tight semi-regulars, they at one time showed a chance to flourish in this environment. However, it was only a matter of time before these (at one time) break-even animals had their weaknesses exposed to other regulars, forging a seemingly quick road toward extinction.

Did they get smart, or did they get dead? At what ratio?

Apocalypse
06-07-2004, 07:57 AM
let's hope they're just saving up wellfare to come back at the end of the month and give it another go /images/graemlins/cool.gif

gonores
06-07-2004, 08:05 AM
They're gone....either they changed their names and changed their games, or they busted. The 10/20 6max regular plays closer to 2+2 specs than they once did, and if they err, they usually err on the side of passiveness.

BTW: It's 7am on a Monday, and I'm posting on 2+2. Is this normal?

Peter_rus
06-07-2004, 08:26 AM
Maybe - just move down to 5/10 to remember those "good times"? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

When choosing limits to play - the amount of bet means - your $/hour grow, but if your ev fails more times than growing of bet's amount - maybe just stay on lower limits, while more advertisment will attract more rich rookie onto tables?

stripsqueez
06-07-2004, 10:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's 7am on a Monday, and I'm posting on 2+2. Is this normal?

[/ QUOTE ]

completely normal

i dont like the theory too much - just when i start thinking this it becomes a chook shed

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

James282
06-07-2004, 10:57 AM
Most of the old nuts are dead or quit, but there are new ones getting comfortable with their aggro game. Personally, I think the games are more beatable now than they were then because it's easier to gain multiple bets from several loose-passive opponents with a large edge than it is to get multiple bets from a single aggro with an unknown or slight edge.
-James

gonores
06-07-2004, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it's easier to gain multiple bets from several loose-passive opponents with a large edge than it is to get multiple bets from a single aggro with an unknown or slight edge

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo

Ulysses
06-07-2004, 01:53 PM
ZeeJustin's infamous shark list:

Grandmal
Back_Pages
Goscinny
Shastaberry
Zorin
HorseRacer1
Volponi
Jay_Trotter

Are these guys still around? Did anyone BuddyList these guys (in which case you can tell if they change their names)?

I've only noticed one or two of these names in the recent past.

CORed
06-07-2004, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe - just move down to 5/10 to remember those "good times"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't played 10/20 for awhile. There are still a few maniacs around on 5/10, but I don't think near as many as a few months ago. Fortunately, the 5/10 6 max games are full of fish of the clueless calling station variety. It's profitable, but kind of boring. Getting tricky just costs you money. Just wait for TPGK (or even MPGK if you're 3 way or heads up) and bet, bet, bet. I kind of miss the old days when bet the flop, call the inevetible 3-bent, check-raise the turn was my default play with any decent hand.

Schneids
06-07-2004, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ZeeJustin's infamous shark list:

Grandmal
Back_Pages
Goscinny
Shastaberry
Zorin
HorseRacer1
Volponi
Jay_Trotter

Are these guys still around? Did anyone BuddyList these guys (in which case you can tell if they change their names)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I see Jay_Trotter from time to time, and Zorin about two weeks ago. Last time I've saw GrandMal was about a month ago, and even then GrandMal seemed to be playing 15/30 full tables more often than 10/20 6-max. Shastaberry about a month ago too. I suspect the rest are bust, with perhaps Jay_Trotter and Zorin as the only actual survivors of the group.

Vagos
06-07-2004, 03:26 PM
I use to see most of these guys, mainly HorseRacer and Jay_Trotter almost daily doing multiple tables. Haven't seen any of them in weeks though.
-Andy

fyodor
06-07-2004, 03:29 PM
This is what you find in the 5/10 now:
Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG raises, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>,

Flop: (5.40 ) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG bets, CO calls.

Turn: (3.70 ) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG bets, CO calls.

River: (5.70 ) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 5.70

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG shows 2c 3s (two pair, nines and twos).
CO shows 6s 2h (two pair, nines and twos).
Outcome: CO wins 2.85 . UTG wins 2.85 . </font>

The UTG made $7 at this table over 163 hands
The CO made $400+ over 195 hands

Ulysses
06-07-2004, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I kind of miss the old days when bet the flop, call the inevetible 3-bent, check-raise the turn was my default play with any decent hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always used to love it when I'd 3-bet a big hand on the flop then get checkraised by some decent top-pairish hand on the turn. Yeah, good times indeed.

lefty rosen
06-07-2004, 04:52 PM
These guys can still win but many don't. The ones that win know who they can bully and what their calling and betting patterns are. Also they tend to fold on the expensive streets if they are on a stone cold bluff. As for the the crack smokers. A 1000 a day habit is pretty hard to support......

lefty rosen
06-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Did you get a good read on this moron because king 8 off is getting your ass in a world of [censored] if he has a reasonable raising hand? I suspect you did but that is pretty loose unless he is a raise any two type.

fyodor
06-08-2004, 01:10 PM
No no I folded the K8o

The utg raised with 23o and the CO cold called him wiht 62o

It was a wacky table