PDA

View Full Version : Worst singers

jdl22
06-07-2004, 03:55 AM
To complement Ray Zee's thread thought we could start a list of people that are famous for their musical talent (hence please nobody mention that American Idol jackass that can't sing) but actually are bad singers.

Topping the list should be Bob Dylan. As for the next two I nominate the two lead "singers" in ACDC.

ACPlayer
06-07-2004, 04:05 AM
We did so much ***** listening to Dylan in college, its a wonder that some of us survived.

In the same vein -- great musicians/entertainers but different(!) voice: L Armstrong.

Of course I would still rather listen to Louis and Velma singing "but its cold outside" then any most any song.

Mano
06-07-2004, 05:15 AM
Two words: Yoko Ono

lil'
06-07-2004, 08:40 AM
I don't know many people under 40 who "get" Bob Dylan. I think you had to be there.

For the record, I don't get him either.

Bubbagump
06-07-2004, 10:16 AM
JD,

You may not like Bob Dylan, Brian Johnson or Bon Scott, but to say that they are the 1st, 2nd and 3rd worst singers is pretty closed minded.

I don't particularly like Bob Dylan, but I am not going to stand here and say the guy can't sing. All 3 singers have a distinct sound and style. The body of work that these singers has produced is still relevant and influencing singers today.

Brian Johnson has accomplished something in his carrier very few singers can claim to have done in replacing an original member of an already successful rock bank and making the band even more successful.

Bubbagump

razor
06-07-2004, 10:58 AM
What singers like Bob Dylan & Neil Young demonstrate is that music and singing isn't just about technique and perfection.

Who is a better singer Michael Bolton or Neil Young?

Who would you rather listen to?

My brother-in-law (before he was my brother-in-law) once asked "What's the big deal with Jimi Hendrix? He can't sing and his guitar sound is all distorted?" Despite my protestations this apparently was not sufficient grounds for preventing his entry into the family. But hey, I guess someone has to buy Phil Collins' CDs.

Bump-en-Stein
06-07-2004, 11:01 AM
Vocals are merely an instrument that are to compliment the band, or vice-versa.

In the case of AC/DC, the singer is complimenting the band, which plays hard rock (and kicks ass at it). I don't see how you can even judge Johnson's vocals as it is part of the overall presentation. If you are the vocalist for one of the best hard rock bands of all time (if not the best) I say no way you can be one of the worst singers.

Now: Let's get busy:

Rick Astley,
Davy Jones,
Shaun Cassidy (Butch would have been better)

Bubbagump
06-07-2004, 11:10 AM
Donnie & Marie Osmond
Neil Diamond
Bjork

andyfox
06-07-2004, 11:43 AM
"I am not going to stand here and say the guy can't sing."

I'll sit here and do it: the guy can't sing. He sounds like a tone-deaf frog that swallowed a frog.

Zeno
06-07-2004, 12:10 PM
Once again:

Screamin' Jay Hawkins.

He was both the best and worst blues singer of all time.

Alice Cooper should be mentioned for Rock.

-Zeno

Sloats
06-07-2004, 01:52 PM
Biz Marquis (YOU YOU got wot I need, but you say he's just a friend)

Dylan (both)

I wouldn't even classify Ono as a singer

and any of the electronically enhanced eye candies of the past 25 years, from Paula Abdul and New Kids through Brittney and Fingerbang

And though I love AC/DC, it's true. They are not known for beautiful singing voices... they leave that for Queensryche.

Ulysses
06-07-2004, 02:32 PM
The dude from Creed must get some props here.

Duke
06-07-2004, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who is a better singer Michael Bolton or Neil Young?

[/ QUOTE ]

Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Samir Na-gheen-an-a-jar. Nagheenanajar.

Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.

Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys.

Samir: Hmm... well why don't you just go by Mike instead of Michael?

Michael Bolton: No way. Why should I change? He's the one who sucks.

~D

jdl22
06-07-2004, 04:01 PM
Once again you have one upped me.

Nice work. He has by far the highest exposure to talent ratio of any artist other than the bubble gum pop stars.

andyfox
06-07-2004, 04:22 PM

Rushmore
06-07-2004, 06:02 PM
I love the music of Led Zeppelin. I think the music of Led Zeppelin is great. The music of Led Zeppelin is the music of my childhood.

I nominate Robert Plant for worst singer, because he always got in the way of the music of Led Zeppelin, what with all of his squealing and gyrating and girlishness and Viking nonsense and squeeze my lemon til the juice runs down my leg and does anyone remember laughter and sh*t.

So, uh, I nominate Robert Plant.

Gamblor
06-07-2004, 06:11 PM
Dylan:

Best lyricist ever.

Worst voice ever.

Brian Johnson:

Lotta action. Love the band, but this guy's only accomplishment is still having a voice after smoking 3 packs a day.

CORed
06-07-2004, 06:17 PM
I must disagree. I love Robert Plant. The only bad thing about Robert Plant is that heavy metal singers ever since have been trying to imitate him and nobody has come close to making it work.

ronzoni
06-07-2004, 07:35 PM
http://www.coe.ilstu.edu/portfolios/students/nflinde/project/images/mvgrammy.jpg

RcrdBoy
06-07-2004, 07:42 PM
If for no other reason than his hilarious perfomance on Celebrity Poker.

RcrdBoy
06-07-2004, 07:46 PM
Lou Reed. Guy can't sing a lick, but he's great.

lil'
06-07-2004, 07:51 PM
So, uh, I nominate Robert Plant.

What! Hush your mouth! He did yell too much at times, and his lyrics could be a little over the top ("...in the darkest depths of Mordor, I met a girl so fair..."), but he sung them well.

RcrdBoy
06-07-2004, 08:00 PM
Great picture!

But technically I think they would fall under the category of worst lip syncers. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

stripsqueez
06-07-2004, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Donnie & Marie Osmond
Neil Diamond
Bjork

[/ QUOTE ]

i love bjork - she has a sensational voice

i was once forced to take a 30 hour road trip through something called the "nullabor" - its very long, flat, and hot - in fact someone once told me that the longest straight section of road in the world occurs on the nullabor plain - for music there were 3 cassettes - all rod stewart - i hate rod stewart - in addition to being a mysogynist wanker he plainly cant sing

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

WillMagic
06-07-2004, 09:38 PM
Obviously the lead singer from AFI.

jdl22
06-07-2004, 10:42 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
You may not like Bob Dylan, Brian Johnson or Bon Scott, but to say that they are the 1st, 2nd and 3rd worst singers is pretty closed minded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like them all. Dylan is the best song writer of all time imo. Also ACDC is one of my favorite bands and must go down as one of the all time best rock bands. In fact I think Scott and Johnson's singing styles add to the sound. They would sound a lot different if without a similarly voiced front man. They probably wouldn't be as successful either.

In both these cases these three guys have contributed a lot to music. That doesn't mean that overall they have good singing voices.

Oh yeah we agree on Johnson. It is impressive that they were able to make the already very popular rock band even more popular after the lead singer died. I think one reason for that is the similarity in their voices. I bet if you asked most people that listened to the music on the radio and even enjoyed but weren't what you would consider big fans they probably wouldn't even know that they had a different singer on the old albums. I generally prefer the older albums like DDDDC, Highway to Hell and Back in Black but I think Stiff Upper Lip was absolutely fantastic. Got to see them live in Portland during the SUL tour and they were great.

Bubbagump
06-07-2004, 11:22 PM
Admittedly, It might be unfair of me to judge Bjork so harshly. But I haven't been able to take her seriously since she wore that swan dress to the oscars that her disigner friend made for her.

Bubbagump