PDA

View Full Version : 8-8 hand

09-30-2001, 11:19 AM
I get 8-8 in the cutoff...

7-handed...

UTG+1 opens for a raise, folded to me...

I 3-bet...

all fold, UTG+1 calls.

FLOP:

Qh-5h-4h

check, i bet, he calls.

TURN:

Qh-5h-4h--4d

check, i bet(planning to check behind on the river, but to charge over cards now), UTG+1 check raises.

Now what, if I dont have the 8 of hearts?

What if I do?

Would checking the turn and "inducing a bluff" be viable here? What about with J-J(and less overcard danger)?

I figured giving something like A-K or A-J a free card would be bad.

09-30-2001, 07:40 PM
I think you should fold when check-raised on the turn regardless of whether or not you have the 8h. The reason for betting the turn was to get your opponent to fold and protect what may be the best hand. His check-raise on the expensive street means you are beat in most cases and your flush-draw is too weak to pursue. Play on if you feel you have a good read on your opponent and that he could be making a move on you or you feel you have an image problem.

09-30-2001, 09:03 PM
Fold. You 3-bet pre-flop and have since bet twice. Yet now he check-raises you. He had raised pre-flop from UTG+1. Too many hands he could have that put you in trouble. You've tried twice to buy the pot.

In my game, I would have checked the turn and risked the free card with 8s or jacks, a call from the original raiser with that flop is ominous.

09-30-2001, 09:57 PM
You showed strength during the hand so the fact that you got checkraised, especially with a board that is just as scary to your opponent as it is to you, menas you are beat in most cases. This should be a fold.

Also, was your opponent a loose raiser? If not it is a marginal threebet preflop, in my estimation.

Pat

10-01-2001, 01:18 AM
If you do not want to fold if you get check-raised, you can't bet here. Just check it through and call the river. If you can fold to the check-raise then bet it.

10-01-2001, 09:42 AM
...and then call a river bet i presume.

anyway, i folded.

10-02-2001, 08:47 PM
To be honest, i think you are a behind and you should fold immediately. In my experience, a lot of players will check call the flop, saving the check/raise move for the turn when the bets are in bb. When a player does this to me it indicates major strength of the hand and i would immediately fold. I would put him on AQ or QQ. He may not have hearts, but it wouldn't matter because you could only have a maximum of 1 heart, which doesn't really give you the odds you want to suck out for a flush.

In a nutshell, FOLD.

I don't think that the JJ hand is any different, the combination of hearts and the Q has you in a position i hate. You have to think to yourself at this point that folding is your weapon and probably the best long term option.

All the best.

Alcatraz...