PDA

View Full Version : Reckless? Standard? Kinda OK? or Brilliant?

razor
06-06-2004, 06:42 PM
Played this hand today. Not really sure if I played it fine or I was reckless... Check-calling post-flop can't be a good approach so I think I either have to play it the way I did or check-fold.

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, MP1 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>

Yuck... this flop sucks. Well... I 3-bet the flop, the pot is big, let's throw in some chips and see what people think.

<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, Button folds.

Turn: (8 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>

double yuck or not? I kinda don't mind this, the pre-flop raiser mucked on the flop and I'm likely to find out where I stand if I bet out.

<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 folds.

Ok, enuff is enuff... check and hope BB checks behind. If BB bets I'll call expecting to see a weak K.

River: (10 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks.

Final Pot: 10 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 10 BB, between BB and Hero.</font>

Thoughts? Anyone even consider a bet on the river?

Nemesis
06-06-2004, 06:52 PM
I would expect to get raised when the second king comes, what does he have to gain from letting you see the river cheaply except losing from a suckout. I put him on A9s probably. *edit* definately bet the river

dfscott
06-06-2004, 06:55 PM
Pre-flop: I hate being raised ahead when I hold JJ, because most people aren't raising with something worse than Jacks. However, since the raiser is immediately to your right, I like raising to make everyone else call two cold and possible get the drawing hands out pre-flop.

Flop: I like betting out -- looks like the button might've had Q's and decided you were holding Ks.

Turn: I think this is much better than the alternative, which is an A. If no one liked the King on the flop, there's no reason to think they'll like it any better on the Turn. I like betting out here as well.

River: I bet this river every time -- you might get shown a freak 2 pair, but without the flush possibility, I'd bet it.

Zeiros
06-07-2004, 07:02 AM
You would most likely have heard from a king on the turn (unless this is an exceptionally, exceptionally passive player). I'd agree with a previous poster and put him on a pretty high ace with either second or bottom pair.

I'd absolutely bet the river every time. I like the way you played the rest of the hand though.

Peter Harris
06-07-2004, 07:36 AM
I bet this river every time after hearing no resistance on the turn (the moron micro-er's favourite betting street). Make a player note when they show their hand, if they have a K they are passssssive.

I expect, like others, A9/A7. T8 is not impossible from the BB if they always defend against any raiser, which makes the river check lucky (but still wrong long-term). I'd expect QQ before T8 though, and most BB would cap with that.

Regards,
Pete Harris

razor
06-07-2004, 10:01 AM
Value Bets on the River - something else to add to my "I'm not [fill in the blank] enough" List. I suppose I've seen too many people play passively against me that I'm expecting to see an weak K.

But then, if I'm gonna call I may as well bet.

and who knows, maybe the goofball would've called with 33 just for kicks. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks for the responses.

nothumb
06-07-2004, 10:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pre-flop: I hate being raised ahead when I hold JJ, because most people aren't raising with something worse than Jacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not serious are you? On party .5/1? From the button? I've been getting raised with QJ, A9s, KQ, and worse all day.

I like your play on all streets. Bet the river for value.

dfscott
06-07-2004, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pre-flop: I hate being raised ahead when I hold JJ, because most people aren't raising with something worse than Jacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not serious are you? On party .5/1? From the button? I've been getting raised with QJ, A9s, KQ, and worse all day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, sorry, I forgot about that -- I'm on Stars. I dream of the day I can move to Party...

ScottTheFish
06-07-2004, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't there only 3 hands better than JJ? Even on Stars I can't believe people only raise with AA KK and QQ. I'm positive in the .5/1 games I play, people raise with FAR less then the top 3 hands.

I love the 3-bet PF with JJ. There is a VERY good chance you have the best hand, and Jacks are a favorite (slight) to be an overpair to the flop. If I 3-bet and get capped, then I'll give the guy credit for a premium hand (AA-QQ or AK)if I have no read on him as a maniac.

I admit I would probably check the river here, too. Even though I know I should bet. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Trix
06-07-2004, 11:45 AM
Bet the river, he will often call with a 9, 7 or pocket pair, hoping you have AQ or such.

You dont make it very hard for him when you check-call....
He will just check anything worse behind and bet the king.

chief444
06-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Bet the river.

Also, the K pairing on the turn is a good card for you, not a bad card. It makes it less likely that one of your opponents is holding a K and if they are you were beat before the turn anyway.

Nemesis
06-07-2004, 12:07 PM
So he had what....?

Ralph Wiggum
06-07-2004, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
River: I bet this river every time -- you might get shown a freak 2 pair, but without the flush possibility, I'd bet it.

[/ QUOTE ] So are you putting the BB on AA or QQ?

chief444
06-07-2004, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So he had what....?

[/ QUOTE ]
With no read given it's tough to say. But I think your A9s guess is as good as anything I can think of. Could be A9, A7, Kxs, 27o, a middle pocket pair, straight draw, or anything including a 9 or 7...depending on what kind of player he is. Nothing suprises me at low limit. But I think it is a good time to bet the river since there are far more hands I would possibly put him on that hero beats than otherwise.

dfscott
06-07-2004, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] So are you putting the BB on AA or QQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking something more like AQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif

razor
06-07-2004, 01:19 PM
BB had 33... MHIG

The problem with trying to get a read on players (aside from the fact I'm generally not paying attention when I'm not in a hand - I'm working on that, honest - and that players are always coming and going) is that too many of the players I'm seeing are playing video poker. They'll go to the river with any piece of the flop or anything, as in this case, that could turn into something half decent. They are liable to do anything with anything for almost any reason.

ZootMurph
06-07-2004, 01:37 PM
I'd bet the river. Anyone with a King would have raised the turn. With the exception of EXTREMELY passive players, which are problematic on hands like this.

I played a hand similar to this one, with pocket Kings and 2 aces hit the flop. I bet and 1 call. I bet out all the way and was called. Guy had pocket Aces for 4 aces... didn't raise once. Saved me a ton of money, LOL.

I always bet until someone raises me to say I'm no longer winning.

dfscott
06-07-2004, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BB had 33... MHIG

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen this over and over again and I think I've finally figured it out -- does this mean "my hand is good"?

I swear I'm going to put together the "2+2 forum glossary thread" /images/graemlins/smile.gif

razor
06-07-2004, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
does this mean "my hand is good"?

[/ QUOTE ]

YACS

.<font color="white">You Are Correct Sir</font> .