PDA

View Full Version : PPs, Ax Suited, Suited Connectors, etc.

Danenania
06-06-2004, 06:11 PM
As an intermediate Micro player of several months, I've been scouring the boards lately trying to bring my game to the next level. I've been learning quite a bit, especially from the likes of Ed Miller and Clarkmeister among others (can't wait for the book Ed). However, there is an issue that is still a little fuzzy in my mind: when and in what position different types of high implied odds hands should be played.

So basically what I'm looking for is some sort of preflop ranking of these sorts of hands including (but not limited to) PPs, Ax Suited hands, Kx and Qx Suited hands, Suited Connectors, Unsuited Connectors, Suited 2-Gappers, Unsuited 2-Gappers, and Suited Trash based on type of game and position. I have a pretty good understanding of implied odds but lack a really solid confidence in exactly how good they are for each of these hands.

Either explanation or references to other threads would be a great help and really appreciated. I understand that many decisions are situational but I still think spelling out a general consensus would be ultrauseful.

If a clone of this query and its answer exist somewhere, just link it, smack me, and move on.

Thanks.

dfscott
06-06-2004, 06:49 PM
Get Hold'em Poker (http://www.twoplustwo.com/books.html#Hold'em Poker) by David Sklansky. Even if it's not 100% what you want to do at the micro-limits, it's hand rankings are what just about everything else is derived from.

Danenania
06-06-2004, 07:30 PM
It's true that the book helps, but would it ever advise playing 22 UTG or open-limping with A2s in MP? Should J10s be played UTG in a very loose-passive game like 22 or is it not as good? What about 2 bets with 54s with 5 limpers already in? These are the kinds of things I'm unsure of.

dfscott
06-06-2004, 09:09 PM
I'm not saying that it's all you need. However, it will give you a foundation to expand on. You'll see a lot of posts here talking about "I wouldn't raise with a Group 4 hand" and without reading the book, you won't have a frame of reference. If you're looking for a comprehensive reference, I don't think you'll find one because everyone has their own style. I'm guessing when Ed Miller's book comes out, you'll have something more in line with what you're looking for.

FWIW, I started with WLLH hand rankings. When I read posts about playing 22 UTG or suited Aces, I looked at my PT stats to see how they were doing for me and made some changes if I felt it was warranted. It's made me a winning player for the last 10,000 hands. Of course, YMMV.

Danenania
06-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Yeah, I totally agree with you. I actually have read both HPFAP and Lee Jones a couple of times through. I guess what I'm looking to do is see if someone who knows what they're doing wants to CREATE that comprehensive reference that doesn't yet exist. That's kind of a big request though now that I look at it. I suppose I'll just have to wait for Ed's book.

In the meantime... should I call two bets with a suited connector on the button if I'm fairly sure there will be 5 or more callers?

sthief09
06-06-2004, 11:30 PM
at micros, I'd play Axs and PP from anywhere if there's no raise. with suited connectors I prefer to have position in a passive game with a bunch of limpers. I think any time there's 3 limpers to you, you can play a suited connector or 1-gap. the reason for this is because if you call after 3 limpers in early position the chance that more limpers come along makes up for your poor position, and vice versa for late position.

I think I'd need 3 people in plus the PFR to cold-call with any of these hands.

I think this pretty much applies to everything up through 3/6