PDA

View Full Version : AK miss the flop

09-29-2001, 05:20 AM
Sorry if this has been asked before. A situation that happens quite frequently for me lately. Let say you have AKo or AKs and you open raise in early or mid position, and you get two callers behine you plus the big blind. 4 players total. The flop comes 3 small rags. Let say the flop is 894 two tone and none of your suit. BB checks, now what do you do? (there are still two players behine you). Thanks for any suggestions.

09-29-2001, 05:46 AM
If you've got good starting criteria, the players behind you know that you have either a big pocket pair or AK, AQ. 89 is in the playing zone, so you might have a looser player with JTs who will raise your flop bet for a free card.

I'd say it depends on what you think the other players think of you. You're out of position, so you're not likely going to get a free card if you check the turn. There are lots of over cards the other players could have.

I think I'd check-fold. But sometimes you'll need to mix it up and bet. If you bet the flop, be prepared to bet the turn unless a Q, J, T, or 7 shows up.

That wasn't really an answer ... I don't like it when that happens either.

09-29-2001, 10:32 AM
I this case, with BB checking and two other guys after me, I would "check" to see where they're at. If one of 2 bets, I might call it (cuz now I've narrowed the field) -- but if both bet, I assume someone has made a pair (or set)(lots of guys play pocket 8's and 9's and they could have 10-J as well for a straight draw). Also, one or both could have pocket 10's or better in their hand. Remember, they CALLED your initial raise. A-K is in my opinion, overrated in this situation. It is still a drawing hand, and if you don't pair up, or see a straight or flush draw for yourself on the flop, you are just wishin' and hopin' that you will hit another A or K with 2 more bets to go. This can cost lots of unnecessary bets over the course of a year. Unless your opponents are the type that play junk and just call any raise or bet cold, I would muck big slick after the flop if they bet it almost always. GL.

09-29-2001, 02:17 PM
The above advice could not have been much more limp wristed!

AK flop xxx, bet when checked to 2, 3, 4 ways. When the board comes 9 hi, you have a fair chance that no one else hit the flop either, in which case you are ahead. Checking just encourages players to bluff bet with their overcards. The worst peice of advice is to check call. If you are going to spend a bet on that, spend it on betting out the flop. (This gives you a chance to take it down outright). You can fold to a raise/reraise, and peel one off if you are raised and the pot is right. If the turn comes another x or pairs low flop card, I'd bet again into one runner.

If you bet the flop and get 2 or more callers, I think you can check fold the turn with a clear conscience if you don't hit a pair.

If you are bet into on the flop, and there are 2 players behind you, I almost always muck. In fact, when I am bet into on a rags board, I tend to muck almost always with AK.

Anyone got thoughts on this last comment?

Miles...So What?

09-29-2001, 02:39 PM
"In fact, when I am bet into on a rags board, I tend to muck almost always with AK.

Anyone got thoughts on this last comment?"

I'm the same way unless I'm next to act behind the bettor and a raise will likely blow out the third player and buy me a free turn card or even a free showdown. That's player dependent. Also, I'm more likely to fold in general with a card higher than a nine on board.

Tommy

09-29-2001, 03:27 PM
Miles- Yep, Michael and I both have "limp wrists" from picking up extra bets that guys like you make. Bet on, brother!

09-30-2001, 12:29 PM

09-30-2001, 04:41 PM
Rounder- my sentiments exactly. A bet saved is a bet earned. Babe

10-02-2001, 09:32 PM
I have to begin by apologising, but i agree with Miles on this one! If you are going to raise pre-flop and than check a rags board, why bother raising preflop????????

It sounds to me like you are concentrating on saving bets in case you lose, as opposed to making other players pay you off...

Honestly i think that the way Miles describes the way to play the hand is the most economical way to play AK in this situation!

All the best.

Alcatraz...