PDA

View Full Version : To Call or to Raise - The River Question

Blindfolk
06-06-2004, 04:00 PM
MP had just taken his seat a few hands back, so no definite reads.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, MP calls, CO folds, Button calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, Button calls.

River: (10 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 18 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 18 BB, between Hero and MP.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MP (18 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP shows Qh Tc (straight, king high).
Hero shows Js Kh (two pair, kings and jacks).
Outcome: MP wins 18 BB. </font>

Zeiros
06-06-2004, 05:13 PM
You had shown aggression through the entire hand. MP can't hope to force you out of the hand with a bet so is unlikely to be bluffing -- he has just made something on the river. The only question is how good is his hand.

More often than not MP will have been calling down with top/second pair and has rivered two pair. Despite the possible straight on the board I'd definitely raise away; more often than not those monster hands aren't out there to get you.

I would have played this hand in an identical manner.

As per usual, any criticisms of my lines of thinking are more than welcome!

AtlBrvs4Life
06-06-2004, 05:24 PM
With the 9 coming and his raise, you have to think of what he could have possibly been calling you down to the river with. The open ended straight draw with Q10 is a good possibility. For this reason, I would just call.