PDA

View Full Version : texas fold 'em?

kyro
06-06-2004, 02:49 PM
OK, I hit an awful run of bad beats and the such so my bankroll has dwindled to the point I can only play in ring games and 2.50 + .25 SNG at Pacific Poker now...

5-person tourney, it's down to the last two. I have around 2200 in chips and the other guy has about 1800. I got dealt 3s3d. He raises, I raise back, he goes all-in.

This guy isn't a maniac, but he's fairly LAG. Since I'm chip leader, and it's such a small pocket pair, do I fold them or throw my chips in?

Dornkirk
06-06-2004, 02:59 PM
Fold'em in a heartbeat. He's not going in with 22 or 43, or anything like that. Best case for you he has 2 overcards and this is a coinflip. Worst case he has a better pp and your a big dog.

Sundevils21
06-06-2004, 05:01 PM
How much were the raises? You want to make sure you don't leave yourself a tiny stack. Also, if you think your opponent is a better player than you are(especially heads- up), it might be worth the risk of losing in that spot.
But if you left yourself enough chips to be competitive, and you think you can outplay your opponent, definatly lay this hand down. hope that helps.

pzhon
06-06-2004, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
5-person tourney, it's down to the last two. I have around 2200 in chips and the other guy has about 1800. I got dealt 3s3d. He raises, I raise back, he goes all-in.

This guy isn't a maniac, but he's fairly LAG. Since I'm chip leader, and it's such a small pocket pair, do I fold them or throw my chips in?

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter whether you are the chip leader or not. The most you can win or lose is the size of the smaller stack, and chip value is very close to linear heads-up.

The size of your last raise makes a big difference. What odds are you getting on your call? You would be a 4:1 underdog if your opponent has a higher pocket pair, but you would be making a big mistake to fold if your opponent has two overcards.

If your opponent has AA, you expect to get back about 650 chips, on average. If your last raise was to 1150, you shouldn't fold even if you were 100% sure your opponent had aces. If you thought it was 50-50 whether you would be up against overcards or a higher pocket pair, calling would get about 1250 chips back on average, so it would be right to call if your last raise was to 550 or more.

How frequently to expect that your opponent has a higher pocket pair depends on how each of you has been playing.

kyro
06-06-2004, 09:15 PM
The guy had AJo. The board paired his J, and I was knocked down to 400. I actually brought it back up to take the lead again but lost it eventually. I'm not too strong heads up.

I didn't put him on a pair. I had figured if he had any pair he would have raised more, judging by his plays previously. The two raises we did were min raises, I believe blinds were 100-200. I knew it was basically a coin flip, I figured he had two face cards, probably suited, but I also assumed I had the slight edge. I guess my overall question then is, even if I am the favorite, should I fold to his raise and wait for better hands to go up against him, or being the weak heads up player I am right now, should I go for it all here? All suggestions and critiques, however harsh, are welcome /images/graemlins/smile.gif