PDA

View Full Version : Regarding correct bankroll for 40-80 Hold-em

09-28-2001, 10:48 AM
Hi Mason,

Thanks for your clear and to the point response. Anyway, I am a little curious as to how the figure could be so low in light of the post below that David made on RGP:

*****************

Dsklansky wrote in message news:20010828201042.23988.00002453@mb-mg.aol.com...

Regarding the 15-30 Hold-em game:

Assuming you can beat the game fairly easily, it is extremely unlikely that you would ever go broke with a starting bankroll of $20,000 that you did not deplete for expenses. Anything under $10,000 is in a lot of jeopardy (because its chances are about the square root of $20,000's chances-eg 1% vs 10%.)

*********************

I took that post to mean David thought that a $20,000 non-depleted playing BR for the 15-30 hold-em game would give someone who "beat the game easily" a chance of ruin of about one percent. That would lead me to believe a bankroll in the area of about $60,000 would give someone who "beat the 40-80 game easily" a chance of ruin of about one percent in the 40-80 game. I am not trying to be difficult, but I was wondering what size BR would have about a one percent chance of ruin for a player able to beat the 40-80 game for one big bet per hour and what chance of ruin that same player would have if he (or she) used a $20,000 non-depleted BR to play the 40-80 game.

By the way, I have read all of David and Ray's books and most of your books.

Thanks,

Mark

Posted By: Mason Malmuth

Date: Tuesday, 25 September 2001, at 2:20 a.m. :

$14,000 should do the trick with only a tiny chance of ruin. By the way, are you sure you can really beat a $40-$80 game for one big beat an hour?

09-28-2001, 11:05 AM
i think the difference is the assumption that one can beat a big game like $40/80 for 1 bb an hour.

david is not making this assumption, but mason is in response to a poster who stated this.

the difference is maybe because beating a $15/30 game easily might be $35-40/hr with the variance of 15/30, but beating a $40/80 easily might be $55-60/hr with $40/80 variance.

09-28-2001, 02:15 PM
NF:

I think you have this exactly right. Games get much tougher as you move up in limit, and $40-$80 is often the limit that seperates the men from the boys (so to speak). That's why I asked "Are you sure you can beat the $40-$80 for one big bet an hour."

If that is the case, the number I gave is correct, but I would advise that you have more money if this is the amount that you think you can win at as opposed to knowing for sure.