PDA

View Full Version : You're going to love this.

Jason Strasser
06-06-2004, 03:34 AM
Ladies and gentleman, its that time known as bubble time. And I'm up to no good.

$100 SNG on PP NLHE.

Four handed. All players left seem competent, nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm the fat stack with T5700. I'm in the SB with 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Blinds 200/400.

UTG (T2900) raises to 800. Next to act is button, who is TINY stack with T300, having just lost a big hand. Button folds.

Its on me, I push, BB (T1000) folds, UTG thinks for 10 seconds and folds.

You hate me, I know it. Tell me why this is not basic?

ZeeJustin
06-06-2004, 04:21 AM
Seems like a fine play.

There's one line in your post that makes no sense to me.

[ QUOTE ]
$100 SNG on PP NLHE...
All players left seem competent, nothing out of the ordinary.

[/ QUOTE ]

benjdm
06-06-2004, 04:28 AM
(N/M)

Tosh
06-06-2004, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

You hate me, I know it. Tell me why this is not basic?

[/ QUOTE ]

No I love you and your tactics. You're dead right, the bubble is our friend.

citanul
06-06-2004, 10:55 AM
This is the second post about this exact topic you've made in the last 3 days or so.

In the first you said that you were sure everyone hated the play, and somewhat implied you were a genius inventor type for having come up with it. The responses to that post should have already showed you that other people make this play and already think it is a good play.

While I'm sure there can be some meaningful debate about which stacks to make this play against or some other minutia about it, continuing to end the posts with "Tell me why this is not basic?" when everyone told you it was basic the first time is just plain silly.

That said, fine play. You got exactly the results you were after, and hands like 38s are some of the best non-premium hands to be making this play with, as was discussed in your last thread.

Keep pushing those small stacks around,

citanul

PrayingMantis
06-06-2004, 11:52 AM
This by itself, again, looks like a reasonable play, with a good read and against the right players. The interesting question is, however, how would you play it if you had a smaller stack. Would you push if your stack was the same as UTG? 80% of UTG? Naturally, the bigger your stack is, the less you have to lose even if he calls you, but OTOH, if your stack is the same as his, your push represents a bigger hand, since you have more to lose in his eyes.

I think that the general theme here, if we look at it from a broader point of view, is that the "gap" becomes extremely wide around the bubble, i.e, you need so much better hands to call than to raise (or push), that it could easily make sense to push with essentially everything in many situation, *assuming your opponents understand, at least basically, this concept too*. This will not happen, many times, on the lower buy-ins.

I've just played a 27$ turbo. 4 left, I'm huge stack with about 55% of the chips. One small stack is about to bust. UTG (third stack, around 2500) raises 3XBB. He has done this more than enough times. Folded to me on SB and I push with garbage. I don't have an over-loose image. He thinks and thinks, then calls with AJo. I don't improve (but still took 1st). It's very possible that with the same scenrio, a player on the 100-200 level would have folded it, but I think I'm still doing it, with this stack, even on the 27$, when I feel there's a big chance I'll get a fold and some more chips.

BradleyT
06-06-2004, 06:14 PM
Basically you've got 2 major selling points in both cases.
1. You have everyone covered.
2. A small stack is about to blind out.

These two factors alone will make just about everyone fold their raise unless they have a premium hand.

AJo Go All In
06-06-2004, 07:23 PM
good play sir, now i just need your mailing address so i know where to send the medal.

Jason Strasser
06-07-2004, 03:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is the second post about this exact topic you've made in the last 3 days or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

True.

[ QUOTE ]
In the first you said that you were sure everyone hated the play, and somewhat implied you were a genius inventor type for having come up with it. The responses to that post should have already showed you that other people make this play and already think it is a good play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry if this post was too mundane for you. The "Tell me why this is not basic?" was tongue and cheek. I was just having a little bit of fun. And no, I do not consider myself a super genius of any sort--and no, I did not come up with the idea of pushing around smaller stacks.

I was just thinking one day of what this specific forum on 2+2 lacked, and I had never seen (there was probably a post, I just missed it) a bullying post of this variety.

I did post about it a few days ago, I just thought there was no harm in posting a similar situation. Do you respond like this everytime you see someone post, "could I have folded KK here?"

Keep the peace, I mean no harm.

Jason Strasser
06-07-2004, 03:48 AM
Hey PM,

I really think you can make this play as long as you have the target covered. It's easier to do as the big stack, but I feel comfortable making this play as long as my opponent is in a situation where he/she can comfortably fold (be left with enough chips to be in a situation that isn't desparate). I also agree that the push has more merit if you have a smaller stack.

In terms of your play, seems fine. This player made a pretty shaky call with AJ, and most players on the 100-200 level will fold it. Especially if there is a small stack ready to bust the bubble.

memphis_aces
06-07-2004, 10:49 AM

sabre170
06-07-2004, 11:05 AM
It is basic.

It even has a name, "resteal".

I still think you use it injudiciously, but I don't play on Party, or at the same stakes.

Sabre170