PDA

View Full Version : Books on CD.

JTG51
06-06-2004, 03:13 AM
I'm going to be driving across the country soon and thought that some books on CD might be a good way to pass the time. I went to the bookstore today and was surprised to see two things.

Frist, books on CD are much more expensive than I would have guessed. Most of them are at least as expensive as the hardcover version. Some are much more. Given how overpriced CDs are in general I guess that shouldn't have surprised me, but it did.

Second, many of them are abridged. Has anyone listened to the abridged version of a book that they also read? How much is generally taken out? I feel like I'd be getting cheated if I don't get the whole book.

Finally, any recommendations?

JTrout
06-06-2004, 10:18 AM
This isn't an answer to your questions, but...

Your local library often has many of these books on cd, and...

Cracker Barrel (restaurant) rents books on tape (I think $3 for a week).
I listened to many of these during my traveling days. Cracker Barrels are always beside the interstate, and easily accessed.

JTG51
06-06-2004, 01:00 PM
Those are good ideas. The only problem is I'm moving so I won't be back in the area to return them.

Homer
06-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Those are good ideas. The only problem is I'm moving so I won't be back in the area to return them.

No more JTG at Foxwoods? Are you moving to Vegas?

-- Homer

benfranklin
06-06-2004, 01:24 PM
Check the used books stores in your area. Most people listen to CDs or tapes once and sell them or trade them in at used book stores. Here in the midwest, a tape version of a typical novel is about $8 in good shape. I never listened to and read the same book, but the audio books I've listened to never seemed like anything critical had been cut. Check the packaging, it will often state that the abridged version has been approved by the author.

I did a lot of highway driving a few years ago, and listened to a lot of tapes. I drive a Jeep, and there is a lot of road noise at highway speed. I found it difficult to hear the tape without turning up the volume, which was also hard to listen to. I found the solution was to play the tapes on a Walkman, and to use noise-cancellation head phones. That made the tapes easier to hear, and shut out the road noise which is generally annoying.

JTG51
06-06-2004, 08:18 PM
I'll definitely check the used book stores. Thanks for the tip.

JTG51
06-06-2004, 08:18 PM
No more JTG at Foxwoods?

No, not in the near future anyway.

Are you moving to Vegas?

Southern California.

J.R.
06-06-2004, 10:18 PM
You can return a book on tape to any cracker barrel, and I can attest to the presence of a cracker barrel right off I 70 in Denver, as well as one in Albuquerque New Mexico and many in Arizona, so if you travel out I-70 or further South they are right on your way. There are no Cracker Barrels in CA or NV.

link (http://www.crackerbarrel.com/trip-directory.cfm?doc_id=173)

Vehn
06-06-2004, 10:25 PM
I may be wrong but I think its illegal to drive with headphones on.

JTG51
06-06-2004, 11:08 PM
You can return a book on tape to any cracker barrel...

That's good news. If I don't like what I see when I check out the used book store tomorrow, I may plan my trip from Cracker Barrel to Cracker Barrel.