PDA

View Full Version : Great Belmont

dogmeat
06-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Several quality horses today, sorry there was not a Triple Crown Winner. Smarty Jones ran a good race, but that increase to a mile and a half is a killer for many horses. Just a reminder to myself that the general public that bets on favorites is usually wrong. Happens in all sports. (what the hell do I know, I bet Royal Assault to win!)

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Puffin
06-05-2004, 07:31 PM
Winner..... Put 3 of my left over dollats on #4...whatever the hell his name is. Won 111.

z32fanatic
06-05-2004, 08:20 PM
I bet $120 that Smarty wouldn't win at 5/2, I bet $15 on Purge because it was the Jockey's home track and I bet $15 on the winner at 49/1. I figured I would pay $150 to see something that hasn't occurred during my lifetime.

Abagadro
06-05-2004, 09:44 PM
I really don't know why Elliott took him up to the front so early. He seemed intent on staying with Rock Hard Ten who has early speed but has seriously faded in every race. He used up his gas on a horse that was no threat down the backstretch and paid for it from a horse used to the distance. Not very "smart" IMO.

Roy Munson
06-06-2004, 09:53 AM
Edgar Prado gave Birdstone a masterful ride. He saw the 4 horses running at each other on the lead and just sat back until it was time to pick up the pieces.

I have watched Edgar Prado for 15 years now and believe that he is in a class with the elite jockeys of the sport.

He is also tough. I witnessed a very nasty spill that he took in 1995 at Pimlico that left him severely injured and unable to race for several months.

After his recovery he picked up right where he left off, seemingly, without missing a beat.

dogmeat
06-06-2004, 11:56 AM
Yes, I agree. Prado was very gracious about his win, also. The first thing he did was say he was sorry to have beat Smarty Jones and the other jockey (his friend) and compliment them on the previous races - classy guy.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Abagadro
06-06-2004, 01:45 PM
I didn't intend to minimize Birdstone's very good race by my criticism of Elliot. Prado ran it perfectly by taking advantage of what I view as a monumentally costly blunder.

WarDekar
06-06-2004, 04:07 PM
I agree he went out too early, but hind sight is 20/20 they say.

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-06-2004, 04:54 PM
Elliot didn't take him to the front. He broke well and established position. The horse went to the front on his own without urging. The only decision Elliot made was to not restrain Smarty on the backstretch which was how he rode him in every other race. When they left the backstretch all the leaders were being urged on except Smarty, who was still under a light rating hold. Elliot didn't ask him to run until well inside the quarter pole.

If I saw correctly, the horse didn't even switch leads until about 1/16 inside the quarter pole, right after Elliot started to work on him.

Clarkmeister
06-06-2004, 06:04 PM
You are right. Elliot was still sitting chilly until just before they straightened out.

eejit
06-06-2004, 07:38 PM
Andy Beyer had a great article in the Post earlier this week, outling the change in the breeding industry over the last couple of decades, and why it may be a long time before we see another triple crown winner.
Because of the distance, the Belmont is the toughest triple crown race to win, for horses that are bred more for speed than distance.
I'm afraid more than anything else, Smarty Jones bloodlines beat him on Saturday.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A3155-2004May30.html