PDA

View Full Version : What to do with weak pair, good kicker?

Atropos
06-05-2004, 02:06 PM
PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, MP calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP folds, Button calls, SB calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero folds, Button calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows 7s 8s (straight, nine high).
Button shows Qd 7d (straight, nine high).
Outcome: Button wins 6.25 BB. SB wins 6.25 BB. </font>

OK, this was probably not the right flop to show some aggression /images/graemlins/wink.gif
But in general, what shall i do if i play these very marginal hands for free from the blind, and the flop gives me a weak top pair, top kicker? I am very vulnerable to overcards, but if i hit my king, I could get called down by someone holding AK, KQ and other overcard draws.
Or should i simply fold these more than marginal hands, since i did not put any money in the pot, and my chances of actually winning are rather small? Or should I check and hope that i will hit some monster turn, though my hand figures to be the best at the flop?

sublime
06-05-2004, 02:08 PM
Any pair that you are behind would/should have raised preflop, so its not really a weak pair.

Ed Miller
06-05-2004, 02:09 PM
Frankly, you played the hand fine. That river card is terrible, so you might check it. But don't get into the habit of checking scary rivers... usually it is wrong to do so. Your fold to the river raise is perfect, as are your flop and turn bets.

All-in-all, this hand is quite well-played.

sublime
06-05-2004, 02:12 PM
77 Mass ave? Is that MIT?

U back in Boston, or......?

Ed Miller
06-05-2004, 02:16 PM
77 Mass ave? Is that MIT?

Yes

U back in Boston, or......?

Are you Pedro Martinez? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

sublime
06-05-2004, 02:19 PM
Are you Pedro Martinez?

His white caddy.

You are probably busy as hell, but if for some odd reason you happen to have free time, PM me and I would be honered to buy you lunch and pick your brain.

Ed Miller
06-05-2004, 02:27 PM
You are probably busy as hell, but if for some odd reason you happen to have free time, PM me and I would be honered to buy you lunch and pick your brain.

Errr.. my point was, "You aren't Pedro Martinez, and I'm not at MIT anymore." Haven't been back in over two years now.

Which means that it's about time to take a trip back there I think. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif After the book comes out (not necessarily RIGHT after the book comes out), I am planning an east coast trip including Boston, NYC, Foxwoods, and AC at the very least.

sublime
06-05-2004, 02:29 PM
Errr.. my point was, "You aren't Pedro Martinez, and I'm not at MIT anymore." Haven't been back in over two years now.

Ummmmm Ok /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Shalara
06-05-2004, 02:31 PM
Wow... I would have called the river too. Guess I'm a glutton for punishment. /images/graemlins/spade.gif

You have the best hand and a good kicker. Were it me, I would have bet too.