PDA

View Full Version : $60k in 60 days -- Days 22 & 23

Schneids
06-05-2004, 06:27 AM
...I forgot to include a week three summary after Day 21 last time, so, here is that:

Week Three Summary: $4863.50, 37.25h, $130.56/hr

Day 22 (June 3) -- 06.04.04, 08:03

After finishing my journal last night James told me that he was on a 15/30 table with four other players, in which three of them were total chooks. I was feeling awake enough, so I decided I may as well sit in the game and relax a little bit with some one table action. He was right -- these guys were really bad. Within about ten minutes two of them left, but we ended up playing with 1-2 absolutely horrible players for a solid hour. At first, I started off well and found myself up $200, then $300, then $500. I had unclicked the auto-post button, then decided I could stay up a little later yet to play. Bad idea. I went completely card dead and dropped all the way down to -$1100. Ouch, bad way for me to be starting day 22. I still made it to sleep at a reasonable time by my standards, I would guess somewhere around 3 or 3:30am.

Today, I woke up and played an hour of poker before lunch. It was a smooth session and I was up roughly $800 in it. It was a nice relief to essentially wipe out last night's pitfall. I went out to eat for lunch, then returned back to the computer later in the afternoon to play another couple hours. This is when yet again the bottom fell out. I've decided I'm going to try to summarize some of my negative experiences: capped PF with UTG, my QQ losing to UTG's 3h2h on a 5hJhKh3dQd board, and yes he open raised that UTG and after I 3-bet then capped; KcJh losing to Td9h on a Kh2hTs3h9s board, getting a call reraise in on the flop of JJ7 with JT, only to have 99 catch a 9 on the turn, 55 losing to T7 on a 95768 board, 22 losing to TT on a 6627T board, QQ losing to 87 and 88 on a J976T board after we put in 3-bets on the turn, KT losing to AT on a KT6A7 board, AA losing to 66 on a 243T6 board, J3 losing to Q9 on a J39QK board, AK losing to 89 on a AJ7TJ board, and at least a couple other mid/bottom pair river trips and top pair having to be folded to the flush draw that got there. I know I planned on trying to avoid bad beat stories, but I feel compelled to include all of these because each and EVERY one of them occurred within the first 30 minutes of my late afternoon session. Near the end of it, I'll admit I was fuming. My mouse that normally sits comfortably on the desk had even found its way to the floor. I quit after those thirty minutes, roughly -$1200. At this point in time, Gonores, James and myself all jumped into a Stars .02/.04 game and titled it up like you wouldn't believe. Any hand was playable for multiple bets, and going to showdown. Somehow, James managed to come out at least 25BB ahead! Getting to play like crap and seeing that although very fun at times, crap play does lose money was very therapeutic for me. Plus, the table chat we had going on during all of this was a riot!

Later, while waiting for a friend to pick me up for some basketball, I hopped into one 15/30 full ring game, and proceeded to succeed at a $300 hit and run. The table started off with 4 others at it, but within five minutes it was full. I was the beneficiary of rivering a 3-outer in one of my pot wins... My AQ against someone's AT, which hit a ten on the flop. I caught up on the river though with a queen.

After some hoops, I came back intending to get my new computer totally finished and set up, but that ended up not happening. There are still a few more quirks I have to get ironed out, and then I have a feeling I'll be spending a long time installing programs back into myc computer. Before long I was playing poker again, but this time quit almost immediately because somehow I was constantly getting disconnected from Empire tables and getting put all in. I burned through four all ins, and even ended up with a couple of hands getting folded in which I was in the middle of playing, because of the connectivity issues. I can't wait to hear from Empire that I was getting disconnected because of my ISP, even though the rest of the internet appears to work fine. I passed the time not doing anything significant in front of the computer, until James talked me into playing on one of his tables which supposedly contained "one of the top two clowns of all time." I obliged, and DAMN James was not kidding. This was a guy that would limp 98% of hands, never raise PF, go to the river way too much, fold at the river too much, and was just simply an all-around hopeless player. I managed to win $300 at this table in approximately 30 minutes before our fish left the table. So, by this point in time, with it now being around 3:30am, I found myself roughly -$900 on the day. Playing at that table was really enjoyable though, so I was feeling in the mood to play longer. Despite having no disconnect protects left for a few days, I opened up four tables again and hoped to not have any connection issues. Thankfully, those never happened and I was on some fantastic tables and I started to win, and kept on winning. By the time I finished at 7am, I was up $1927 in the session and back with a +$1000ish day!

I know I'm on a fabulous table when a hand such as this can occur: two late position limpers, and the SB raises, I call from the BB with Jh9c, which is a very borderline call itself. Both the other limpers call. Flop 9d8h6d; SB bets, I raise, both limpers cold call, SB 3-bets, all call. Turn 4s; SB bets and all call. By now I'm beginning to debate about if the river gets bet whether I should call and am feeling very uncertain about my river plan. Moreover, I'm also beginning to scold myself for not just mucking this hand PF. River 3c; checked around and my hand is good, with hand history showing SB had QdTh queen high, limper one having Qc7c queen high, and limper two having Ad7h ace high... Great table and awesome fun when they don't catch on you!

Another hand that occurred today happen to be played against James. In the hand, CO open raised, and I cold called with AhAs on the button, SB folded, and the BB, James, called. 5d3s2c flop; James bets, CO folds, I call. Turn 7s; James bets, I raise, James says to me something like "you overpair cold calling jerk" and calls. River 4d; check, I bet, James calls and my hand is good. I'm wondering how often I can get away with cold calling a few huge hands and hoping to mask my strength long enough to hit an extra payday on the turn, because to me, when I see people I don't typically see cold calling raises suddenly cold call a raise, it is a warning sign in my mind. I guess in order to effectively cold call with AA or KK against observing opponents, I will have to also cold call with a couple other hands.

There were also a couple of hands I totally botched today. If you read the Heads Up/Short Handed forum, you may have already seen these because I did post them. In fact, here is a copy paste of the two with slight modifications:

UTG (clueless) limps, I am UTG+1 and raise with KsTs. Folded to SB who 3-bets. In a past hand the SB (chooky) 3-bet my UTG raise from the button with QJo. So, him 3-betting me from the blinds doesn't necessarily mean that much. 3 to the flop for 3-bets.

Hand One
** Dealing Flop ** [ 5h, Kc, As ]
Chooky bets, Clueless calls, I raise, both call.

** Dealing Turn ** [ 7s ]
Checked to me, I bet, only Chooky calls.

** Dealing River ** [ 2c ]
Checked to me and I checked.

Hand Two
Terrific 10/20 table. Not good players involved in hand. Dumb aggression common.

UTG raises, I 3-bet with JsJc, CO poster cold calls, button cold calls, UTG calls.

** Dealing Flop ** [ 3d, Th, 9h ]
UTG bets, I raise, button cold calls, UTG calls.

** Dealing Turn ** [ 4c ]
UTG bets, I raise, button cold calls, UTG calls.

** Dealing River ** [ Td ]
UTG checks, I bet.

Both of these river decisions are absolutely horrible! I cannot get sloppy on my river play like this, ever. In the first hand, this type of player is going to call my bet with just about any pair, and the fact he's reverted into check/call mode means that it's probably close to 95% that I'm beating him (with a slim possibility of him having KJ or KQ). In the second, the button who's cold called both the flop and the turn is so, so obviously on either a flush draw or a ten he can't let go of. I'm best off checking so that way if he's on a flush draw I may induce a bet out of him, and if he has a ten I am not going to get raised and have to pay 2BB to see a showdown. In this hand, I am not at all concerned about UTG's holding because he'd have 3-bet me at some point if he was beating me or if he had a ten. Results aside, in the first hand my opponent had QJ, and in the second after my bet I got raised by the button, and I made a horrible loose moronic call of his raise to see KT.

By the end of 7am, I was up nearly $1000 on one table with both Nate and James (the rest of the table was composed with clueless players! All three of us did reasonably well at the table, with honorable mention going to Nate who was up even more than me) and also up $1000 on a second table, while doing around break even work on the other two. I'll take it though, I'm very happy this day was able to get turned around! All said, I didn't keep as good of records as I usually do (yet again due to computer change up iin progress), but I'm going to estimate my hours played today to be at 6. Based on the amount of dollars in my account at the start of Day 22 and end of it I do know for fact, however, that I ended the day +$1027.

In summary, today was a very exciting, very volatile day. Fun times. That 30 minute stretch this afternoon was hell, and the late night session was ecstasy. I think I'm getting better at coping with these swings, finally. At least, I hope so...

Total for Day 22: $1027
Goal to date after 22 days: $15,626.91/$60,000

Day 23 (June 4) -- 06.05.04, 03:51

If yesterday was my fast paced rollercoaster ride, than today was a trip to the merry-go-round. Five hours of playing, and just one constant, steady development into a nice winning session. It was one of those types of sessions where after 1-hour, I was up $200, after two hours, up $400, and so forth. Sure, there were still a few frustrating suck-outs, but nothing I wouldn't expect to occur within 20 hours worth of table play.

I spent the late afternoon hours tailing behind my dad, driving from Eagan to Rochester and back. My sister graduated from Winona State last month, and left her car in the Twin Cities the past week for some repair jobs, while she resided back in Winona. I volunteered to do the driving instead of my mom because freeway driving with the windows rolled down and loud music blaring is a top-notch simple pleasure. Plus, I've always loved the city of Rochester. It has the feel of a large (medium) metropolitan area without the hustle and bustle that is typically associated with one. I remember spending a weekend in Rochester many years ago for my baseball team's state tournament games, and being able to walk around outside at 11pm and see some guys playing a pickup hoops game right in the middle of the city, while myself feeling totally safe walking around the area -- despite the urban feel. However, it felt so odd seeing semi-trucks pass me on the left while driving down there! I can't believe how slow my dad was driving down the freeway!

Back to Poker

As I already alluded to, tonight's session was very calming... a nice change of pace I hope continues. Early in the session, there was a hand where UTG raised, UTG+1 cold called, CO (a poster) folded, the button cold called, I made a rare cold call from the SB with KcQc, and the BB also called. Flop of AcQh8c; I bet, BB raised, UTG cold called, UTG+1 folded, button cold called, I 3-bet, all others called. Turn 7d; I checked, BB bet, UTG called, button called, and I called. I now think I should have check raised again because I likely had a minimum of 11 outs, and probably 14 outs, so I was getting good value for a raise. River 3c; I was feeling greedy so I checked, BB checked (doh!), UTG checked, button bet, I raised while hoping that one of these other guys wouldn't be able to get rid of their set or two pair I was hoping they had and figuring if I smooth called I'd only get one overcall anyway... BB did fold but UTG gave me that cold call I was direly looking for, and button called. For what it is worth, I'm surprised the check raise turned out as positively as it did, since UTG only had AK and the button only A6. I got really lucky that anyone even bet the river at all. I think a debate could be made for playing every street differently... Alas, a good way for me to get a nice jump early in my session.

Here's another hand I always feel good about getting to do, since these types of hands make me feel like I’m actually "playing" poker. Button open limps, I complete from the SB with Kd6d and BB checks. Jc8s6h flop; checked around. Turn Jh; I check feeling very confident someone is going to try to bet at the pot on a steal bet, and it gets checked to the button who does bet. I raise, BB folds, button calls. Come on low card blank! River 5d; sweet, that's a nice card. I bet, button calls with Ad7h, since obviously I must be trying to resteal on his steal?

One of my friends who primarily plays Omaha once told me "if you have a flush and the board pairs, be very weary of a boat!" I wish I would have listened to him on this hand... UTG, I raise with AcKc, CO cold calls, and BB calls. As3c2c flop. I bet, CO who plays very aggressively raises, BB folds, I 3-bet, CO caps, I call. Turn 3h; I bet, button raises, I call. River Jc; we cap it and CO's 33 is good. I should have read his hand possibilities a little sooner and stopped the betting at 2 on the river I think, even if this guy was playing aggressively.

I've got another hand where I think my line could be questioned on every street. This one has just became three-handed, and the button raised, I 3-bet from the SB with Ah9h, BB cold called, and button capped. As a brief history, the button has really started to loosen up and bet aggressively without much, and the BB tends to play straight forward and bet his pairs and call his draws. Flop of Td3d5s; checked around. Turn Ts; checked to button who bets, I call, BB calls. River 4h; checked to button who bets, I call, and BB folds. The button had Ad8h and my hand was good.

A final hand of the night illustrates to me that I've made some growth in hand reading. Straightforward player limps UTG, I make a raise with QdJh on the button, a hand I typically fold there (the final factor being what I think of the limper and the aggressive of the blinds), and both blinds plus UTG call. KcKsTh flop; checked to me and I bet, BB and UTG call. Turn Qs; checked to me, I bet, and only BB calls. River 2c; checked to me, I bet, and BB calls with JT. I think the Mike of many months ago would have checked the river out of fear of a check raise, which is clearly wrong since this guy's play from the flop on has said nothing but "I have a ten" thus far and in these games it's usually correct to go with this read until they give you a reason to consider otherwise.

Total for Day 23: $1066.50
Goal to date after 23 days: $16,693.41/$60,000

Equal
06-05-2004, 06:55 AM
Another great post Schneids! You arent too far off your pace considering some of the bad days youve had.

Surfbullet
06-05-2004, 07:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've decided I'm going to try to summarize some of my negative experiences: capped PF with UTG, my QQ losing to UTG's 3h2h on a 5hJhKh3dQd board, and yes he open raised that UTG and after I 3-bet then capped; KcJh losing to Td9h on a Kh2hTs3h9s board, getting a call reraise in on the flop of JJ7 with JT, only to have 99 catch a 9 on the turn, 55 losing to T7 on a 95768 board, 22 losing to TT on a 6627T board, QQ losing to 87 and 88 on a J976T board after we put in 3-bets on the turn, KT losing to AT on a KT6A7 board, AA losing to 66 on a 243T6 board, J3 losing to Q9 on a J39QK board, AK losing to 89 on a AJ7TJ board, and at least a couple other mid/bottom pair river trips and top pair having to be folded to the flush draw that got there. I know I planned on trying to avoid bad beat stories, but I feel compelled to include all of these because each and EVERY one of them occurred within the first 30 minutes of my late afternoon session.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure this is obvious, and maybe it's cause i'm still really new, and because i'm learning to take a positive outlook on things, but this sounds like a GOOD thing - these suckouts mean a couple of things:

1) You are getting in with the best of it
2) The opposition plays many substandard starting hands, and chases too long without odds (or reason!), and will even play aggressively against you when they are dominated.

This makes me think you are playing good poker and you are at good tables...you want that guy to with 99 to call when you have trips because you are making more money off of him than if he correctly folded - from a Fundamental Theorem of Poker standpoint. (you know this of course but it's the first thing I think when I read it)... maybe this train of thought would make it easier to handle?

With that being said, that sounds like an unbelieveably frustrating half hour, and at this point I can't even comprehend what it's like to drop $1000 in such a short time frame, as I'm still at the $0.50/$1.00 level. The fact that you were able to take a break and play your A game later that day is a testament to your resiliency IMO.

I've enjoyed following your progress - it provides both entertainment and inspiration. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dan

Baulucky
06-05-2004, 11:11 AM
Nice going and nice persistence. Can you tell me how long you've played online?. It seems a feat to play winning poker 10-20 in 4 tables at the same time.

Schneids
06-05-2004, 04:30 PM
Surfbullet, the philosophy you've described is dead-on and how a poker player needs to take things when they aren't going good /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Baulucky, I've played online just about every day now for a year.

Baulucky
06-06-2004, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Baulucky, I've played online just about every day now for a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Amazing. I sure hope I can do as well by December.