PDA

View Full Version : Laying down KK

09-22-2001, 08:34 PM
Button open-raises, I make it three with KK in the small blind. The big blind and button call.

Flop is 9JQ rainbow. Ouch.

Check check bet. I check-raise the button, the big blind cold-calls(!) and the button calls.

At this point, I know my gut-shot outs are fairly dead and I may even be losing to a set.

Turn is an 8.

I check. BB bets. Button raises, I fold.

natedogg

09-23-2001, 01:08 AM
Well, you definitely have a fold on the turn. 4 clean outs which may not be for the whole pot, at least one of which is likely dead.

So the only real questionable play is the check-raise on the flop. I don't think in this particular situation it makes much difference how you play it. You're not going to get a 10 to fold, and two pair isn't going anywhere either. Betting out might have saved you one small bet. But then you'd feel less sure about your fold on the turn.

For a no ace rainbow flop, that is about as brutal as they get for KK. Although it will get you action, and some nice pots when guys get aggressive with KQ, QT, JT, etc. That turn is like a knife to the heart, though.

09-23-2001, 03:15 AM
Pre-flop play is a no-brainer, and I like your checkraise on the flop. But the turn kills you, you know it, and only a fish would call a bet and a raise cold with a dead out. Well played.

Jeff

09-23-2001, 08:55 AM
I think the way it turned out, you surely had to fold, but

What would you have done if button just called?

And what would you have done if BB checked and button bet?

Regards

09-23-2001, 08:20 PM
about the flop you said:

"At this point, I know my gut-shot outs are fairly dead and I may even be losing to a set"

or two pair or a made straight of course..

----

after someone raises the turn this seems like a very obvious laydown (well, obvious for the sort of people who hang out around here, not obvious to rest of the poker playing population).

well played natedogg.

09-24-2001, 06:16 PM
I'm a bit confused. The turn card brings you a straight and I'm assuming you muck KK because you feel the other player has AK for the higher straight? Is this correct and if so, were you right?