PDA

View Full Version : O8 - Thoughs on marginal hands in the SB

L0QTiS
06-04-2004, 10:29 PM
In a limit Omaha h/l, what would you consider your minimal playable hands from the small blind. Not necessarily 'all' of them, just some examples.

Assumptions:
* Small blind structure is 1/2 big blind.
* There is no raise in front of you.
* This is a loose passive low limit game where 4-6 see the flop on average (occasionally more, occasionally less).

Given this, what hands would you call for another 1/2 small bet that you would almost never consider calling from any other non-blind position. If you care to expand this thought further, how would this change given fewer players preflop (say 2-4 including yourself and the big blind).

The reason I ask is that several authors appear to have differing opinions on this topic, and I'd like to open it up to the collective wisdom of the forum.

Thanks!

chaos
06-07-2004, 08:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Given this, what hands would you call for another 1/2 small bet that you would almost never consider calling from any other non-blind position.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't think of any! I play from the small blind for half a bet about the same as I play from the button for one bet.

iblucky4u2
06-07-2004, 02:15 PM
This is from an agressive player, totally opposite from Chaos. (I greatly loosen my starting hand requirements from the button).

From the SB, I play "3 legged" high hands. I like any hand that can scoop. If the flop does not hit them hard, I will let them go post flop.

As for low hands, it will greatly depend on the number limpers and the nature of the BB (how certain am I that he will not raise). 23xx for 1/2 bet... depends on how I'm running. More likely if the xx are working - say KQs or even ds.

I might even play those dreaded middle cards - but only if all 4 are working togther .. e.g. 789T - normally death. Even if they hit, they must be played cautiously till the river.

I also like any suited A or any high pair because of their scoop potential.

Remember.... you will be out of position on each betting round, so any flops that are not the nuts or strong draws to the nuts are not worth playing post flop.

MilesDavis
06-07-2004, 03:21 PM
Suited Ace, any four wheel cards, 2378 (and other similar 23 combinations), three broadway cards with a dangler, and depending on how the table is playing might add a few more.

I have gone from very tight to very loose to back to fairly tight. Postion is not so important in a passive game, but if it is agressive I am less likely to play many hands out of postions.

Joe Tall
06-09-2004, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Given this, what hands would you call for another 1/2 small bet that you would almost never consider calling from any other non-blind position. If you care to expand this thought further, how would this change given fewer players preflop (say 2-4 including yourself and the big blind).

[/ QUOTE ]

I surely play a lot of 3-legged hands and almost any pocket pair after many limpers.

I'd even play a hand like 4489, correct me if I'm wrong but I think if you flop a set, it's worth it in a 1/2 blind structure versus multiple opponents.

Peace,
Joe Tall

chaos
06-09-2004, 12:35 PM
I do not give much value to small sets.

You are likely playing for only half the pot. You will never have the nuts and can not be confidently driving the betting. If your small set is the best hand you will not likely get much action so you will only win a little. If you fill up and someone has a bigger full house you may lose a lot of chips.

tiltboy
06-09-2004, 01:35 PM
Just the thought of playing a small set with no chance at low in first position against multiple opponents makes my skin crawl.

Joe Tall
06-09-2004, 01:46 PM
You are likely playing for only half the pot. You will never have the nuts and can not be confidently driving the betting. If your small set is the best hand you will not likely get much action so you will only win a little. If you fill up and someone has a bigger full house you may lose a lot of chips.

This makes a lot of sense and I'll comtemplate it further. These massive implicit odd situation that O8 creates have to be reconsidered by a Hold'em player like myself.

I'm basically a newbie to the game but I feel very confident in it. Thank you for your reply, duely noted.

Peace,
Joe Tall