PDA

View Full Version : Untrained Aggression

scratchy1
06-04-2004, 03:28 PM
Okay my preflop raise % has been pathetic in the past and my aggression factor very low and im in the adolescent stages of trying to improve that and half the time im not sure if im being aggressive or just plain foolish.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, MP folds, Hero raises, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
BB bets, Hero raises, BB calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
BB bets, Hero folds.

His bet out represents a pair or the flush draw and i raised hoping for a free card or to take it right there (correct?). He bet on the turn when the ace fell so i dumped. If he checked the turn should i have bet representing the ace? I don't know it just seems these people will not fold if they have any piece of the flop. In the past i would have probably just limped in then folded the flop or maybe called to turn then dump unimproved. Am i putting too much pressure on myself to play out the hand just cause i raised pre?

In this hand the opponent bet out at me but what if he didn't. I should bet the flop to try to take it down right there right? Say he calls now the ace falls... i should bet again representing the ace? He calls again now what? Check it out or throw in one more bet hoping he'll fold? I just hate playing a hand out with out any kind of real hand... i feel like i should save those bets for when i actually have a hand. Or will iffy hands like this get me more action when i hit?

Here's another... I took this too far... SHould i have just checked the turn then folded river with no impovement?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, Hero raises, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
UTG checks, Hero bets, UTG calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
UTG checks, Hero bets, UTG raises, Hero calls.

River: (7.75 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
UTG bets, Hero calls.

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG shows 6c 8c (three of a kind, sixes).
Hero shows Qs Kd (one pair, sixes).
Outcome: UTG wins 9.75. </font>

spydog
06-04-2004, 04:34 PM
Hand 1: Without a read on the player, I'm folding this. My guess is that he hit part of the flop and read your raise as an attempt to get a free card. When no club hit on the turn, he doesn't want to risk you checking it through. Even if it is a bluff on his part, your queen high might not be enough. Good fold. I've become more inclined lately to throw away QJo PF to avoid this type of scenario.

Hand 2: What is your read on the player? I bet this turn and fold to a check-raise 95% of the time against the normal calling stations on Party. I find this to be a standard play for these fools. Waiting for the turn to show aggression.
Against LAGs I might be inclined to call down.