PDA

View Full Version : Some Reading Recomendations For Everyone

Zeno
06-04-2004, 03:17 PM
Some Book and Journal Recommendations; Enjoy!

Reconstructing Deconstruction Theory: Linear Cognitive Processes, Translations Language Difference, and Progress Toward a Cohesive Meta Language (Jocko Deriddlehead, 2003).

Racist and Sexist Scientism: Epistemological Crisis in White Maleness and The End of Rationalism (Sandi Hardingnobber, 1999).

Social and Contextual Derivations of Science and Society: The Subjugation of Women by Rational Theories (Lucy Iragay, in the Journal: Hypatia, 2002).

The Vulva as Uber-God: Reflections on Space-Time Folding and the Sexism of Einstein’s Relativity (Sandi Lucy, in the Journal: Hypatia, 2002)

Ontological Forms in Gender Crises: Society as a Medium for Trans-gender Identity (Long Wang Dong, in the Journal: Wired Bitch, 2004).

Speech Phenomena and The Irreducible and Multivalent Complexes of Difference (with an e) in Contextual Relations to Temporalizing: Differing-Differed Matter and the Differance (with an a) of Sameness (Jackcoff Jabberwocky, in the Journal: The Insanity of Insenity (with an e), 2008).

Michael Davis
06-04-2004, 03:42 PM
If you changed the name of the authors, this would sound like the reading list for half of my grad classes.

But, you knew that.

-Michael

ThaSaltCracka
06-04-2004, 04:20 PM
these all sound boring, anything with pictures?

ThaSaltCracka
06-04-2004, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jackcoff Jabberwocky

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL, this isn't real right?
I thought Dick Spiller was the funniest name I would ever hear, but some with the name Jackcoff, unreal.

andyfox
06-04-2004, 05:28 PM
Wanting to poke further fun at the ridiculous Jacques Derrida, I went looking for some real book titles by him.

My favorite was Monolingualism of the Other: or, The Prosthesis of Origin.

But then I found: A Derrida Reader: Between the Blinds.

And here I didn't even know he played poker. Talk about a guy who'd be tough to read . . .

John Cole
06-04-2004, 07:33 PM
Zeno,

You must consult Gilbert Sorrentino's Mulligan Stew, in which he includes lists galore of made up titles. To wit: Blacks with Buns: The Story of the Harlem Renaissance Bakery Movement. I like yours, too.

BTW, I've read Derrida, and he's not as bad as you might think. And Cyrus walked up to a second floor to see him in person.

MMMMMM
06-04-2004, 08:22 PM
There is a guy living today who legally changed his name to Jack Ass.

andyfox
06-04-2004, 08:24 PM
"And Cyrus walked up to a second floor to see him in person."

If it was a building designed by Hedjuk or some other of the architects inspired by Derrida's deconstructivism, this couldn't have been easy.

andyfox
06-04-2004, 10:27 PM
And try saying "A Derrida Reader" five times in a row fast. Sounds like my old car trying to turn over in the morning.

Michael Davis
06-04-2004, 11:26 PM
Derrida is in bad shape, so if you have any interest in seeing him, do so immediately. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

John Cole
06-05-2004, 04:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There is a guy living today who legally changed his name to Jack Ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only one?

I once had to look through a roster of names to find a student who had used an incorrect SS# and came across a student named Jesus Christ McCarhy. A couple years ago, I mentioned this to my dentist, who, coincidentally, had him for a patient. It seems that his father was a bartender, and all day long customers yelled at him "Jesus Christ, McCarthy, get me a beer." Hence the name.

Zeno
06-05-2004, 04:24 PM
I’ll see if the local library has Gilbert’s Mulligan Stew; I looked at a few reviews and it sounds like an interesting read, if a bit long.

As for Jacques Derrida, I grant that it is possible that he has made advances and contributions in the areas of language and philosophy. There is, I suppose, still a great debate about this as there was when Oxford gave him an Honorary Degree. But this is not for me to decide. I have read excerpts from some of his books and find them to be rather babbling. Whether this is pretense or a genuine pursuit of knowledge (or a jumble of both) on Derrida’s part is a question I personally have no interest in, for now.

Here is Derrida explaining something, making something ‘more clear’. [From, Speech and Phenomena, trans. D. Allison]

First, absorb this:

We do know that the verb ‘to differ’ (the Latin verb differre) has two seemingly quite distinct meanings…..But the word ‘difference’ (with an e) could never refer to differing as temporalizing or to difference as polemos. It is this loss of sense that the word differance (with an a) will have to schematically compensate for. Differance can refer to the whole complex of its meanings at once, for it is immediately irreducibly multivalent…

Now this:

We could thus take up all the coupled oppositions on which philosophy is constructed, and from which our language lives, not in order to see opposition vanish but to see the emergence of a necessity such that one of the terms appears as the differance of the other, the other as ‘differed’ within the systematic ordering of the same (e.g., the intelligible as differing from the sensible, as sensible differed; the concept as differed-differing intuition, life as differing-differed matter; mind as differed-differing life; culture differed-differing nature; and all the terms designating what is other than physis-techne, nomos, society, freedom, history, spirit etc – as physis differed or physis differing: physis in differance). It is out of the unfolding of the ‘same’ as differance that the sameness of differance and of repetition is presented in the eternal return.

I beg to differ.

-Zeno