PDA

View Full Version : PP is out to get me! explain this.

pokerraja
06-04-2004, 02:32 PM
my frustration is beyond words. last night i lost over $1500 dollars playing NL200 sngs's and some NL200 ring. in matter of 5 mins, this is what happens.
NL200 sng
Im dealt (10,10). I have T1300, blinds are 50/100, 7 players left. i open raise from early position to 300. Button smooth calls. blinds fold. (flop is all low rags, with one spade). I push All-in with T1000 chips. Button calls, he flips over AK spades, and he rivers a king to send me home! How cold he? did he think I was bluffing? I had a tight table image up to that point. unreal.

Next NL200 sng.
Second hand of tourney. I get dealt AK clubs from middle position. 2 limpers to me, i raise to T150. CO calls, limpers fold. FLop is (Ks, 10c, 4h). action to me, I push All-IN. CO calls, and flips over A10 hearts. good im thiking, until the river brings another 10 and sends me packing.
why is god being so mean to me? im a good person, i donate to charity, i take care of my family, , and i just dont deserve this. anyways, these two beats have me feeling like [censored]. last night i had the worst beats i have ever expiereinced in my poker career. i have been playing over a year now.

PS-in a NL200 ring game. I see flop with (6,6), flop was (6,7,2). turn another 2. river an K. So board is (6,7,2,2,k). Im all-in and I lose to (7,7) guy. what, ok, i can take this beat, but the first two in the tournamnets, are sickening.

im done playing poker for awhile. i cant take it. and plus my bankroll sucks now.

Jason Strasser
06-04-2004, 02:37 PM
Oh gee.

Two things, I think I've said to you before:

1) You are playing for too much money (you don't have the correct bankroll for playing $200 SNGS)

2) You need to take as much emotion as you can away from cards. Bad beats happen, you need to be playing at a level where u can walk away from them without calling God for an explanation.

Take a break, poker is not supposed to be like that. Have at least 20-30 buy ins of the SNG level, so that 2 bad beats doesn't make you cry.

eastbay
06-04-2004, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my frustration is beyond words. last night i lost over $1500 dollars playing NL200 sngs's and some NL200 ring. in matter of 5 mins, this is what happens.
NL200 sng
Im dealt (10,10). I have T1300, blinds are 50/100, 7 players left. i open raise from early position to 300. Button smooth calls. blinds fold. (flop is all low rags, with one spade). I push All-in with T1000 chips. Button calls, he flips over AK spades, and he rivers a king to send me home! How cold he? did he think I was bluffing? I had a tight table image up to that point. unreal.

Next NL200 sng.
Second hand of tourney. I get dealt AK clubs from middle position. 2 limpers to me, i raise to T150. CO calls, limpers fold. FLop is (Ks, 10c, 4h). action to me, I push All-IN. CO calls, and flips over A10 clubs. good im thiking, until the river brings another 10 and sends me packing.
why is god being so mean to me? im a good person, i donate to charity, i take care of my family, , and i just dont deserve this. anyways, these two beats have me feeling like [censored]. last night i had the worst beats i have ever expiereinced in my poker career. i have been playing over a year now.

PS-in a NL200 ring game. I see flop with (6,6), flop was (6,7,2). turn another 2. river an K. So board is (6,7,2,2,k). Im all-in and I lose to (7,7) guy. what, ok, i can take this beat, but the first two in the tournamnets, are sickening.

im done playing poker for awhile. i cant take it. and plus my bankroll sucks now.

[/ QUOTE ]

None of those stories are particularly uncommon or surprising in any way. That you were surprised by them is surprising.

You lost less than 10 buy-ins. That is nothing. That happens to a winning player regularly. If your bankroll "sucks now," I suspect that you were playing way outside your bankroll to begin with.

eastbay

FloppedFlush
06-04-2004, 02:40 PM
If two bad beats and an unlucky hand are able to do that much damage to your bankroll and your psyche, then maybe you should move down in limits.

memphis_aces
06-04-2004, 02:42 PM
Are you serious? I only ask because you're being a LITTLE melodramatic about two unrelated (and not THAT bad) of calls. Plus, if you're playing at levels where one nights action/variance can ruin your roll, you're playing a little too high.

Sucks to get sucked out....but I don't see anything out of the ordinary here.....

pokerraja
06-04-2004, 02:51 PM
jason.
im not trying to sound like a whining little girl here. but i need help. im asking anyone to help me if they can. im being 100%honest here. about me. im a 28yo male. im a professional in the health fields. i started playing poker about a year ago. started on teh $10sngs, moved to $30, then $50. i was absolutely crushing the game. I was making about a $1.5K a month since jan. now in the last 3 weeks or so, i dont know what happened to my discipline. i messed around and tried a $200sng, and I won it. Next think you know, stupid me is playing $15/30 limit game. I was up and down at first. but this game coupled with the $10-20 has absolutley drained my bankroll. last night, in a extreme effort to make back my losses. i lost over $1500 playing NL200 sngs and ring games. bad beats all night. lost all that money in under 2 hrs. what happened to the good old days when I would deposit $200 and it would at worst last me over a week. but like I said , I was usually winnning. I dont know what has happened to me. i didnt know i was so much a "crak-head". im very disappointed in myself. my gf is very dissappointed. we were planning on getting a house this summer. now my poker bankroll is all but gone. im not going to touch my savings at all. i vow not to. its not worth it. and to make matters worse, im going to las vegas next week to visit a good freind, he lives there. I might play a little low-limits for fun. but what do i do from here? i absolutley love the game. i know im good at it. im a proven winner for over a 8month period. but i flat out Fked up.

The good thing is im going out of town this weekend. and then im off to vegas in a week. So i wont have a chance to think about Party poker for the next few weeks. maybe if i get back, im thinkig on deposting $300. and just playing $20 sng's and grind my bankroll back. i know i can do it, i just need the discipline. im really hurting, and i think im going to learn my lesson and stay away from the big games. i dont have the bankroll for it.

Jason Strasser
06-04-2004, 03:33 PM
Honest.

This is a very difficult situation. The best medicine for sure is time away from poker.

Come back, deposit 300 or so, and play the 10$ sit and gos 3-4 at a time. Just play them very "AlegoMagus" style. (see his post about beating the PP 10 SNG). You want a high number of played tourny's, so that you can cope with variance intrinsic to poker.

Good luck, everyone goes through this at one point or another. Forget about the money lost. Refresh your pokertracker if you want, get a new Party alias, and start fresh. Don't play to make back the money you lost. Play and just make the right moves.

pokerraja
06-04-2004, 05:04 PM
jason,
thank you so much for the honest advice. that is exactly what i needed. its funny sometimes hearing what you know from someone else makes you feel better. i agree with your reccommendation. i will start all over at the $10 sng's. i usually play 2 at a time. i read the thread you reccomeneded, thats exactly my style anyways. i will take 2 weeks off, and start all over.

also, i need to stop playing the mid-high limit games. im a loser there. always will be. my skill is the tournaments, and i need to stick here and just grind. i just got caught up in the excitement of the high limits. i cant take the swings for that game, people never fold there, and the beats sting very bad. so, its on me, i know what i need to do, and i will do it. thanks again. good luck and keep in touch.

Beavis68
06-04-2004, 05:11 PM
Start over, why all the pressure to play the big leagues? You still have your job right? Only been playing a year, don't worry about the big money right now.

Maybe try a new site too, I did really well on party for a few months, then lost a bunch in a row, switched to UB, did really well on there, burnt out and got cocky, lost about 10 sngs in a row, accidently entered a satelite for a 1$00 tourney, won it ( a guy who took second in the Stone Cold Nuts tourney for 350K was playing in it too) now, I am back at party - trying to build a bankroll.

I gave up my plans for world domination, and I am sticking to the games that are fun to play, and where if I lose 10 in a row, it is no big deal. I also started playing Omaha ring games - even some $2 buy-in stuff on UB. There was a fun group that played everynight, and everyone joked around. It was fun and got me through a period where I wasnt doing well at the tournaments.

But remember dude, poker should be enjoyable, and you should play where you can make the most profit with the least risk.

Just chill out, and you will get it back.

ThorGoT
06-04-2004, 05:24 PM
I can't seem to locate the AlegoMagus post (using the search function). Can someone help? Thanks.

pokerraja
06-04-2004, 05:25 PM
Beavis,
thanks dude. im so down right, i really makes me feel better to hear this. im taking 2 weeks off for sure. and when i do return, im going to have a gameplan and a schedule. only play for X amount of hrs and x days. i need some structure. and who was i kidding by playing the big time games, im not a big time guy, im totally middle class american. and like you said, this game should be fun. and there is nothing fun of getting sucked out on in a $200 tourney. now if its a $20 tourney, big deal, u play another one. i hope others can also learn from my mistake.

ps- im going to vegas next thurs. this trip was supposed to be all poker, because i was suppose to have a bankroll, but stupid me. the good thing is that my freind hates gambling, so i will probably only play a couple of hours. probably just play some 2-4 or , or 3-6 with a $200 max bankroll. i mean, im in vegas, i have to play some, right? hopefully i will do well, i usually do.

mackthefork
06-04-2004, 05:30 PM
It's important that you do exactly what you have decided now, even if it's just to prove to yourself that you can, I speak from personal experience on this.

Never chase your loses, and you should come down in limits if your bankroll starts to evaporate at an alarming rate, never play at limits that the roll can't stand. And play for the right reasons, it's a game in the end of the day.

I don't mean to be preachy but if YOU don't stay in control it will f%&^ with your head.

Regards

Mack

PS Don't forget to pray to the poker gods. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

mjohnson406
06-04-2004, 07:28 PM
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=608476& Forum=All_Forums&Words=5278&Match=Username&Searchp age=1&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=602767&Search=tru e#Post608476

The name is actually AleoMagus and the search demands an exact match on the screenname

Pil Sung Do
06-04-2004, 08:15 PM
Try searching for AleoMagus.

Or search you can search the 1-table forum by poster.

He's on the next to the last page.

Slacker13
06-04-2004, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Second hand of tourney. I get dealt AK clubs from middle position. 2 limpers to me, i raise to T150. CO calls, limpers fold. FLop is (Ks, 10c, 4h). action to me, I push All-IN.

[/ QUOTE ]
What I can't figure out is why you would push all in here? What was your reasoning? Your only in the second hand of the tourney and you had someone call a T150 raise who could easily have a big pair looking to trap you, I don't agree with his calling the all in either but I personally think it was reckless to move all in in this situation. But, then again what the hell do I know.

Desdia72
06-04-2004, 10:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
NL200 sng

Next NL200 sng.
Second hand of tourney. I get dealt AK clubs from middle position. 2 limpers to me, i raise to T150. CO calls, limpers fold. FLop is (Ks, 10c, 4h). action to me, I push All-IN. CO calls, and flips over A10 hearts. good im thiking, until the river brings another 10 and sends me packing.

[/ QUOTE ]

i feel for you, bruh. i'm the King of losing on the MISSISSIPPI RIVER. i've played about a recent stretch of 20-25 SNGs in which the majority of the hands i lost DURING the SNGs and when i got BOUNCED OUT of the SNGs were on the river. all i do is shake my head.

pokerraja
06-04-2004, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Second hand of tourney. I get dealt AK clubs from middle position. 2 limpers to me, i raise to T150. CO calls, limpers fold. FLop is (Ks, 10c, 4h). action to me, I push All-IN.

[/ QUOTE ]
What I can't figure out is why you would push all in here? What was your reasoning? Your only in the second hand of the tourney and you had someone call a T150 raise who could easily have a big pair looking to trap you, I don't agree with his calling the all in either but I personally think it was reckless to move all in in this situation. But, then again what the hell do I know.

[/ QUOTE ]\

my reasoning is quite simple, i dont want to get drawn out on. If you draw out on me, you must pay upfront. Also, im not fearing AA, or KK, or any other set. if they do have a set, so be it, ill take it like a man. I play these tourneys super aggresive when i have a good hand, this strategy has worked for me no problem. Every once in awhile I might get trapped, but like I said I take it like a man. only time I slow play is when i flop nut straight, flush, or boat.

ps-- How the hell would you of played this hand? Im not sure if you play alot of tourneys. but If I dont put him all-in, what do i do? im not playing limit poker.

Desdia72
06-04-2004, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]\

my reasoning is quite simple, i dont want to get drawn out on. If you draw out on me, you must pay upfront. Also, im not fearing AA, or KK, or any other set. if they do have a set, so be it, ill take it like a man. I play these tourneys super aggresive when i have a good hand, this strategy has worked for me no problem. Every once in awhile I might get trapped, but like I said I take it like a man. only time I slow play is when i flop nut straight, flush, or boat.

ps-- How the hell would you of played this hand? Im not sure if you play alot of tourneys. but If I dont put him all-in, what do i do? im not playing limit poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

i understand your point with being aggressive with the hand you had. in one SNG i played, i was bounced out of the money on two consecutive flush river losers. the hand that crippled me was my holding of trip Kings. UTG with pocket Kings, i raised preflop and got several callers. the flop hit a third King so i immediately bet enough to get the lowest stack all-in. everybody folded and he called my trip Kings with like 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and caught a flush on the river to win. the hand i went out on, i was all-in with Q Q and got about 4 callers. the guy with the worse hand at the start, he had like 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 or 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif caught a flush on the river to win. the key thing about these hands is that the guys with the worse hands preflop called preflop raises with these hands. it has you scratching your head sometime.

pokerraja
06-04-2004, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]\

[/ QUOTE ]

i understand your point with being aggressive with the hand you had. in one SNG i played, i was bounced out of the money on two consecutive flush river losers. the hand that crippled me was my holding of trip Kings. UTG with pocket Kings, i raised preflop and got several callers. the flop hit a third King so i immediately bet enough to get the lowest stack all-in. everybody folded and he called my trip Kings with like 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and caught a flush on the river to win. the hand i went out on, i was all-in with Q Q and got about 4 callers. the guy with the worse hand at the start, he had like 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 or 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif caught a flush on the river to win. the key thing about these hands is that the guys with the worse hands preflop called preflop raises with these hands. it has you scratching your head sometime.

[/ QUOTE ]

also, the point of this thread was not to talk about my moves. i trust my moves. the point is to talk about my stupid game selection and lack of discipline. btw, this is my first night off from poker in over three months. but im not going to play for two weeks. i need to learn my lesson from my last retardedness. im itching to play too! but i know i just cant, i just lost 3k, and winning a $20 sng, is not going to mean much. take care.

JDO
06-05-2004, 02:25 AM
Could you please, if you have it, provide a link to "AlegoMagus" style of beating low buy in SnGs.
I have recently unlearned how to play and I would love to read that post again for insite into what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks.

Jsb
06-05-2004, 02:42 AM
mjohnson already provided a link to it.
but here is one anyways (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=602767&page=&view=&sb=5&o =&vc=1)

JDO
06-05-2004, 07:48 AM
Sorry and thanks.