PDA

View Full Version : Peaceful turn hand.

09-19-2001, 02:09 PM
Welcome. Sredni thanks you for patiently opening this post.

Middle limit hold'em game, 2/3 blind structure. Nine happy people dealt in.

Fortunato, a lovable charitable player on Sredni's right, calls to begin the festivities.

Sredni holds AJsp, and reckons that this might be a time for raising.

Behind Sredni, Tom Sawyer on the button merely calls. Tom is old enough to know what's right, young enough not to do it. His call means AA-99, AK, AQ, KQs with high probabilities. This hand range is inhospitable to Sredni.

The big blind, Mr. Crowley, calls, a mystical look in his eyes. His expression offers to Sredni, "Do you believe in magik(sic)?".

Four handed. The flop and final board, appearing left to right:

4sp <FONT COLOR="ff0000">9h</FONT> <FONT COLOR="ff0000">Jh</FONT> 9sp Tsp

On the flop, Mr. Crowley leads. Fortunato calls. Sredni raises. Tom Sawyer calls. This means to Sredni overcards with the tiniest chance of JJ. Mr. Crowley continues with a raise, appearing to chantmurmur something in a Druidish tongue. Sredni has never actually heard Druid. Even ferret gods have limits. Fortunato calls. Sredni, full of passion, caps it at four bets. Tom Sawyer, folds. Sometimes they paint the fence, sometimes they don't. All else call.

The turn gets checked through. Ceasefire? Temporary calm?

When the turn fell, Sredni had sensings. The happiness of one helped to balance the disappointment of the other. Within guarded subtleties Sredni visited Xanadu. Does inaction=action? If force has opposite reaction, what of no force?

On the river, Fortunato bets and Sredni just called with an ace high flush. Mr. Crowley, overcalled, although in his heart did not wish it.

What happened on this poker table? Did the falcon not see the falconer?

Any who wish to comment please do. Those who wish to quietly sit and meditate please continue.

Rhetorical Questions:

1)If on the flop, Tom Sawyer has AK, AQ, KQs, KQ?, does AJ want that hand out?

2)What else needs to be asked?

3)Can Sredni's mistakings be put snugly into a fruit basket or grand canyon?

Sredni Vashtar

Sredni Vashtar went forth,

His thoughts were red thoughts and his teeth were white.

His enemies called for peace, but he brought them death.

09-19-2001, 03:13 PM
haha. you funny!

very well played hand. AK, AQ maybe don't want those guys out but prolly better that they go. the pot is big and drawing to a weak 2 or 3 outer is wrong but ferrets don't like rain. If Tom Sawyer still at home on the turn then you must bet. KQ - they have slim draw to nuts and you are wise to make them pay.

09-19-2001, 05:56 PM
"Mr. Crowley continues with a raise, appearing to chantmurmur something in a Druidish tongue. Sredni has never actually heard Druid. Even ferret gods have limits."

Once I read this line, I couldn't concentrate on the play of the hand. It's five minutes later and I'm still smiling, puctuated by an occasional lol. There are some great writers on this forum, but nothing, nothing ever (not even the most potent Fekali enemas) comes close to this line and this post.

By the way did Mr. Crowley look Druidish? Some of my best friends are Druidish.

"Tom Sawyer, folds. Sometimes they paint the fence, sometimes they don't" Sredni appears to be an Easterner, but knows American literature; that fact cannot be whitewashed.

09-19-2001, 06:07 PM
Sredni writes:

Nine happy people dealt in.

Tom Sawyer is old enough to know what's right, young enough not to do it.

Even ferret gods have limits.

Tom Sawyer, folds. Sometimes they paint the fence, sometimes they don't.

Within guarded subtleties Sredni visited Xanadu.

Did the falcon not see the falconer?

3)Can Sredni's mistakings be put snugly into a fruit basket or grand canyon?

-------------

Sredni,

What was the flop again? :-) Your eloquence absorbs my attention.

Tommy

09-19-2001, 06:16 PM
"The big blind, Mr. Crowley, calls, a mystical look in his eyes. His expression offers to Sredni, "Do you believe in magik(sic)?"."

Andy, above line was my favorite. For the life of me I can't put Crowley on a hand that he could lead and re-raise the flop, yet only "reluctantly" over-call at the river. Could he have possibly called a raise preflop in the BB with J4?

09-19-2001, 06:29 PM
Like Tommy, I was so overwhelmed with the language, I haven't even looked over the action. Sredni shouldn't worry about playing poker, he should be seeking publishers.

Anyway, I'm going to re-look at the post now. I'll post my thoughts soon.

09-19-2001, 07:58 PM
Pre-flop: Sredni's raise is correct. The cold call from Tom Sawyer is indeed inhospitable and worrisome.

On the flop: Sredni's raise is correct. Tom Sawyer's overcall does not strike me as J-J; J-J would likely have reraised either pre-flop or, if not then, on the flop, given the coordinated texture of the board. Two overcards with perhaps the Ah is a more likely hand (as confirmed by the fact that he folded for two more bets, he said with the advantage of knowing the outcome before it happened).

I would not have 4-bet. Not knowing whether Tom Sawyer would call 2 more bets or not, I would have called Mr. Crowley's reraise and planned to re-raise on the turn if an hospitable card came. In a big pot, I try to make sure they don't draw out on my on the river; they'll usually get to the turn, but you can keep them from getting to the river by making it two big bets on the turn.

I don't think Tom Sawyer had K-Q or K-Qs. A-K or A-Q seem more likely. It is not impossible that one of the other two remaining players has K-Q.

When the pot gets big, my goal is to keep them from drawing out on me. There is very little you can do from keeping them from getting to the turn (although you were successful in keeping Tom Sawyer from getting there). So once Mr. Crowley 3-bet the flop, I would have only called, and then, if a benign or helpful card came on the turn, raised the turn.

Sometimes we overthink. When the board pairs and they all check on the turn, it might mean a trap, but more often it means they didn't like that card. I would have bet the turn since you now have the nut flush draw. It's not impossible that both opponents were on draws. It's also not impossible that Fortunato was sure you'd bet, since you have raised thus far at every opportunity.

I think Fortunato has K-Q. I don't know what Mr.Crowley has. J-4s, as Hillbilly suggested, makes the most sense. A-J also makes sense.

I probably would have, in the heat of the battle, raised on the river. I don't think anyone has a full house.

09-19-2001, 11:44 PM
I also put friendly Fortunato on a str8t draw or heart draw, since "Fortunato, a lovable charitable player on Sredni's right, calls to begin the festivities." He joyfully takes alot of heat with this likely draw possibly with a hand like 87h or KQh and when he makes his str8t on the river he happily bets into the possible quads and boats and flushes that abound on the board.

Sredni doesn't share whether his nut flush held, of course we're all hoping it did. We can't rule out pocket 4's for Crowley as the nine on the turn and or Sredni's bold flop play may have froze him up.

09-20-2001, 11:39 AM
I sure wouldn't play pocket 4s this way were I Mr. Crowley.

09-20-2001, 02:58 PM
End of message

09-20-2001, 08:12 PM
Will Sredni reveal the results? Andy also wants to know if his own mistakes fit snugly into the Grand Canyon. (I should say his own mistakes in analyzing this hand; his mistakes in other walks of life are far too bountiful for the Grand Canyon.)

09-22-2001, 09:47 AM
Andy,

Sredni thanks Andy for the effort and wisdom sharing. Sredni was engaged in unspeakable ferret activities and couldn't connect with computer until now.

Mr. Crowley's hand shall remain a mystery. In Xanadu, Sredni shuffled to the sacred river and drank at its shore, J4s floated in the waves. Be warned, omniscience and Xanadu are differing states. Does hillbilly have access to Xanadu? Sredni has never seen a hillbilly there. It is also still unclear of what Mr. Crowley chantmurmured, but "Send it" has been ruled out by a team of Sredni's closes near-Druidish friends. So few answers. Do not let the nonanswers compel oneself to forcing spirit crushing quasiquestions.

Sredni does not include the result to avoid results disease. Sredni will only add that Fortunato almost bet the turn according to the winds of Xanadu.

Not raising the river was a combination of being beat and preferring impotent overcall to ferocious reraiser potential.

Sredni overthink? Maybe. But does not sometimes inaction=action?

May Great Ferret God in the Shed be with you.

Sredni Vashtar

Sredni Vashtar went forth,

His thoughts were red thoughts and his teeth were white.

His enemies called for peace, but he brought them death.

Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.

09-22-2001, 10:48 AM
hillbilly has been to Xanadu? J4s?

Aleister Crowley would have been proud.

Sredni

09-23-2001, 12:16 AM
Huh?