View Full Version : bankroll problem

jt1
06-04-2004, 01:06 PM
I play at Party poker $3-6 multi tabling. I've been running bad the last 3 weeks with this week going from bad to worse. Consequently by bankroll is down to 100X the big bet (it's exactly at $537.50)

I normally operate at 200X the big bet, or $1200 for my game, even though I know that 300X is the official number to go by. I figure I can always go down to a lower limit game should I need to. This is what I've decided to do. I just ended the day at the $1-2 tables. (BTW: at first i started to only player QQ - AA and AKs, but I got tired of this so I moved down. if anyone wants to comment on that strategy please feel free)

What really bothers me about moving down is that I might run strong for a few days. Sure I'll win back my bankroll, which is what I need to do, but the idea makes me think about all the money I would have won if I stayed at my regular tables and got the same good luck. The idea doesn't sit well with me.

Consequently, I'm thinking about putting another 100 bb into my account and playing at $2-4 until I get back up to $1800. I'm asking the pro's here what to do. Any other comments would be very welcome. This is new territory for me as I've only started playing everyday about 5 months ago.

Robk
06-04-2004, 01:39 PM
Keep playing 3-6 and deposit the extra money as needed. There's no reason not to play the best game for your bankroll as long as you are psychologically ok with the losses. You've got a good chance at recovering with your 537 dollars anyway, 90 BB isn't such a short roll. Your ror is probably about exp(-2*1*90/100) = exp(-1.8) = 17%.

[ QUOTE ]
at first i started to only player QQ - AA and AKs, but I got tired of this so I moved down. if anyone wants to comment on that strategy please feel free

[/ QUOTE ]

This strategy is terrible, don't do it.

TomCollins
06-04-2004, 02:46 PM
If these are the only cards you play, move down to .5/1 until you are playing at least 10% of your hands voluntarily. This is terrible.

Al Mirpuri
06-05-2004, 06:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I play at Party poker $3-6 multi tabling. I've been running bad the last 3 weeks with this week going from bad to worse. Consequently by bankroll is down to 100X the big bet (it's exactly at $537.50)

I normally operate at 200X the big bet, or $1200 for my game, even though I know that 300X is the official number to go by. I figure I can always go down to a lower limit game should I need to. This is what I've decided to do. I just ended the day at the $1-2 tables. (BTW: at first i started to only player QQ - AA and AKs, but I got tired of this so I moved down. if anyone wants to comment on that strategy please feel free)

What really bothers me about moving down is that I might run strong for a few days. Sure I'll win back my bankroll, which is what I need to do, but the idea makes me think about all the money I would have won if I stayed at my regular tables and got the same good luck. The idea doesn't sit well with me.

Consequently, I'm thinking about putting another 100 bb into my account and playing at $2-4 until I get back up to $1800. I'm asking the pro's here what to do. Any other comments would be very welcome. This is new territory for me as I've only started playing everyday about 5 months ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fallacy you are making is thinking that if you ran good at this level then you would have run good at the level you used to play. Hell. Think how much you 'lose' when you run good and are not playing $100-$200.

When you run good at this level it is to do with playing the right number of starting hands and playing them optimally. And you can play them optimally because having 300bb you know your bankroll can survive being sucked out on every now and then. You had obviously become tight weak at the higher level. Patience, grasshopper, patience.