PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on other ways I should have played this hand

Ptolemy
06-04-2004, 12:26 PM
I had a hand last night that I can't stop thinking about so I thought I'd post it to get advice on how others would play it.

Situation: Party $10 STT, 5 hands in, blinds 10/15. Being early in the tournament all players are right around 800 in chips. I'm in late position with J /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I'm not a big fan of this hand but thought it I'd try to limp and go from there.

Pre-flop: UTG+1 limps, MP limps, I limp, button limps and BB checks.

Flop: 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif Pot: 85
Everyone checks

Turn: Q /images/graemlins/club.gif
Checked to me and I bet out 85 to see if the pair of Qs is good. Everone but UTG+1 calls, everyone else folds.

River: K /images/graemlins/spade.gif
UTG+1 checks, I bet 125, UTG+1 raises to 250 and I call.

Final results: UTG+1 wins the pot with an ace high straight holding A /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and now I'm hurting 5 hands into the tournament.

There are many aspects of this hand I do not like the way I played, mostly the call I made on the river (what else would he check raise me with except maybe AK), but seeing how others would play this from start to finish would be a great help.

Thanks.

jn110
06-04-2004, 01:05 PM
You're in pretty good position on the flop; I might have tried a semi-bluff bet with your overcards and straight-draw there, but that really depends on how the game has been playing to this point (specifically how likely the button is to make a play at this pot if checked to -- if he's likely to check behind as he did, I'd often be inclined to take the free card hoping to make the nut straight and get action). I would have played the rest of the hand exactly the same (and not liked the 3 turn callers). I think you split this pot more often than you lose it with the second nut.

BTW, if I were utg+1 I would have raised a little more than minimum, probably 2x your bet.