PDA

View Full Version : How weak was this?

spydog
06-04-2004, 11:39 AM
UTG had not raised PF in the 30 hands that I have been sitting at the table.

Turn: How weak is this? I certainly need to lead the turn, no? If he raises, do I 3-bet and fold to a cap, call down, or fold to the raise?

River: Check/call seemed the thing to do since there were 4 spades on the board and I felt like he had AK, AA, or KK.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP folds, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 8.25 BB, between Hero and UTG.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (8.25 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Qh Ah (two pair, aces and queens).
UTG shows Jh Kh (one pair, kings).
Outcome: Hero wins 8.25 BB. </font>

fyodor
06-04-2004, 11:50 AM
Given what you've said about him I lead the turn and fold to the raise. You're beat. He has AA, KK or AK with one of them being a spade.

There are plenty of people here who would say no you should 3 bet but I think it's a waste of chips long term as well as short term.

fyodor
06-04-2004, 11:54 AM
Ok I looked and see where he had nothing. I guess he might have bluff raised you. I guess everyone knows to bluff raise me now. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Demian
06-04-2004, 12:39 PM
My decision here would be based more on how i had seen him play other good hands. You said he hadn't raised before this? Does that mean he had been limping everything or folding a lot? Did you see him limping with hands like AK and AQ? Any idea how he might play good pocket pairs? Is he someone who likes to bet out when they hit good or does he like to slowplay? Have you seen him bluff raise the turn? These are all things i try to typically get a feel for if the information is there. Not knowing that, i go by the one thing you said: [ QUOTE ]
I felt like he had AK, AA, or KK.

[/ QUOTE ] Given that this is what you thought why did you 3-bet pre-flop? Also, what would you have done if you had this hand in the small blind instead?

As far as the turn goes, i wouldn't go the 3-bet route given the 3 hands you put him on. I would lead and hopefully fold to a raise. But that's if i really have a solid read on this player. Otherwise i'm calling it down. Seems more like you were afraid of those three possibilities but didn't quite believe it either.

As far as Fyodor's thinking that maybe others would advocate the 3-bet, i'm not so sure. This is 1/2 after all which is more passive in general, and the combination of not having seen this guy raise before and the fact that this raise came UTG makes me not want to 3-bet here if the opportunity comes. You're out of position and everything we've seen thus far points to an unhappy ending. Until you won, of course.

Ezcheeze
06-04-2004, 12:49 PM
30 hands is a very small sample to use in determining a players preflop raising standards. The only conclusion you can really draw from this is that he doesn't raise everything. You played the hand fine until the turn where you check. You should bet. Unless there is something else you know about this player I would call down a raise. If he just calls the turn bet then I would bet a non spade river and check call if a spade fell allowing him to bluff worse hands since he will probably fold most worse hands to a bet.

-Ezcheeze

James282
06-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Check-raise the turn for Christ's sake, then proceed to bet the river.
-James